[comp.os.os2.programmer] CodeView crashes system

twagner@baobab.Berkeley.EDU (Tim Wagner) (10/30/90)

I've been attempting to run CodeView on a simple, multiple-DLL
(but NOT multiple-thread or process) application.

Main and DLL code is compiled with /Zi and /Od (among other flags),
and I'm linking with /CO.

I am also specifying the DLL locations on the CodeView command line.

Unfortunately, CodeView crashes the OS: internal processing error.
It requires a full cold restart.

Any ideas, anyone?
This is OS/2 1.2 IBM SE, on an ALR 25386DT.  One monitor mode (VGA) for
CodeView (i.e., it's not the dual-monitor hassle problem).

My CodeView works on other applications programs I compile, and used to
work on this one before I made the DLL's contain debug information.

Compiler is MS C 6.0.

(PS: does anyone know the most recent OS/2 1.2SE+C 6.0+CodeView revisions and
     how to get them?  In particular, what's this I read occasionally about
     "OS/2 1.3"?)

-Tim Wagner
UC Berkeley
twagner@sequoia.Berkeley.EDU

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (11/02/90)

Concerning OS/2 1.3, the current issue of PC Week says that it will be out
at the end of this year and that it will be free of charge to current owners
of OS/2 1.2.

Concerning Codeview, the current issue of PC Week says that Microsoft has
just released a maintenance version of C 6.00 known as C 6.00A (if I remember
correctly) and that it is available for $12.95.

Concerning DLLs, debug mode, and Codeview,  I too have encountered problems
with debug versions of DLLs.  They sorts of things I have seen include:

  after recompiling a module and rebuilding the DLL, the program fails to
  run.  Deleting all debug LIBs and DLLs and rebuilding them seems to fix
  this, although I have no idea why it should matter.

  Using the Run History Undo facility, Codeview sometimes complains that the
  execution path has changed.  I think Codeview is wrong since I have not
  change the program, its command line, or any of its data files.  (The
  program is single threaded).

Anyhow, I suggest that you get the maintenance release.  If your problems
persist, contact Microsoft.  If anyone can help, it's help.

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (11/03/90)

In article <29341@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, twagner@baobab.Berkeley.EDU (Tim Wagner) writes:

> (PS: does anyone know the most recent OS/2 1.2SE+C 6.0+CodeView revisions and
>      how to get them?  In particular, what's this I read occasionally about
>      "OS/2 1.3"?)

For what it's worth, the latest IBM Corrective Service Release is online at
the IBM national bulletin board center (4504-835-6600).  There are 6 > 1 Mbyte
files down there: I downloaded them, but make sure you have a 9600 baud modem!

According to the New York Times, IBM announced OS/2 1.3 a couple of days ago.
I didn't see the article, so this is 3rd-hand, and I don't know what else
IBM said.  I'm hoping that IBM also puts 1.3 on their BBS.

Btw, if you don't want to get a CSD from the IBM BBS, you can talk to your
local dealer, tell them what you want (the latest before this 1.3
announcement was XR04073, I believe), and they'll get it for you.

                      Adrian Goldman

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |