[comp.os.os2.programmer] 8514A limits?

towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) (11/09/90)

  What are the available text modes for the 8514A video adapters?  Is
it the same as a VGA?  Or does it have more modes?

   ---Ben Levy            FTP Software Inc.            seven@ftp.com
   Member of the International Ameoba Society:
                              "United We Stand, Divided We Multiply"

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (11/09/90)

From article <TOWFIQ.90Nov8150318@babyoil.FTP.COM>, by towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq):

>   What are the available text modes for the 8514A video adapters?  Is
> it the same as a VGA?  Or does it have more modes?
>
>    ---Ben Levy            FTP Software Inc.            seven@ftp.com
>    Member of the International Ameoba Society:
>                               "United We Stand, Divided We Multiply"

I don't know if this will work on a VGA, but

MODE CO80,60

I call it "squint-o-vision"...  ;)

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (11/10/90)

In article <TOWFIQ.90Nov8150318@babyoil.FTP.COM>, towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) writes:
>   What are the available text modes for the 8514A video adapters?  Is
> it the same as a VGA?  Or does it have more modes?

	I think that it's the same as VGA; in fact, I think what happens
is that if you do full-screen OS/2 (or DOS) it is the VGA board that is
driving the screen, and the 8514/A is just passing the information through.
That's what I remember reading, anyway.

		Adrian Goldman

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |

yozzo@larouch.uucp (Ralph Yozzo) (11/19/90)

In article <TOWFIQ.90Nov8150318@babyoil.FTP.COM> seven@FTP.COM writes:

>  What are the available text modes for the 8514A video adapters?  Is
>it the same as a VGA?  Or does it have more modes?
>
>   ---Ben Levy            FTP Software Inc.            seven@ftp.com
>   Member of the International Ameoba Society:
>                              "United We Stand, Divided We Multiply"

In full screen OS/2 mode 80,14 and mode 80,25 and mode 80,34
 and mode 80,43 and mode 80,60 work.
 In the windowed command prompts even mode 80,100 works.

Ralph Yozzo (yozzo@ibm.com)