[comp.os.os2.programmer] Launching FS or Windowed CUI Programs from Help

davepat@olivej.olivetti.com (David Patterson) (12/01/90)

Hi all!

I've got a small question here.  I would like to lauch a full screen,
(or windowed), program from a Help.IPF application that I've written.
So far, it looks like this:

:link reftype=launch object='test.exe' data='arg1 arg2'.TEST:elink.

My problem seems to be that it does not seem possible to 'launch' a
full screen, (or windowed), application from the Help Manager.  This
*does* work when launching PM apps.  Is this a bug, or am I doing some
thing wrong??  I need a little help from all of the wisdom out there!!!

Thanks to all in advance!!!

-Dave Patterson

= #include <disclaimer.h> =========================================
|||||||                                                     |||||||
            l                                 t        t
 oooooo     l    i   v       v    eeeeee     ttttt    ttttt    i
o      o    l    i    v     v    eeeeeeee     t        t       i
o      o    l    i      v v      e            t   t    t   t   i
 oooooo     l    i       v        eeeeee       ttt      ttt    i

========== {ucbvax, etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!davepat ============

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (12/01/90)

It kind of makes weird logical sense to only allow the launching of PM
applications from within the Help Manager.

I'm not sure, however.

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

davepat@olivej.olivetti.com (David Patterson) (12/04/90)

In article <11993@hubcap.clemson.edu>, lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:
> It kind of makes weird logical sense to only allow the launching of PM
> applications from within the Help Manager.

I don't think so.  If PM allows for the launching of FS or Windowed programs
from Groups, why not the Help Manager too???  (Besides, what if you want to
start deamon programs from HM?)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (12/04/90)

From article <49935@olivea.atc.olivetti.com>, by davepat@olivej.olivetti.com (David Patterson):
> I don't think so.  If PM allows for the launching of FS or Windowed programs
> from Groups, why not the Help Manager too???  (Besides, what if you want to
> start deamon programs from HM?)

No no no...PM allows it, but does Help Manager?  I realize that you can
start FS or windowed programs from groups, but does Help Manager necessarily
provide that "priviledge"?

davepat@olivej.olivetti.com (David Patterson) (12/07/90)

In article <12049@hubcap.clemson.edu>, lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:
> From article <49935@olivea.atc.olivetti.com>, by davepat@olivej.olivetti.com (David Patterson):
>> I don't think so.  If PM allows for the launching of FS or Windowed programs
>> from Groups, why not the Help Manager too???  (Besides, what if you want to
>> start deamon programs from HM?)
>
> No no no...PM allows it, but does Help Manager?  I realize that you can
> start FS or windowed programs from groups, but does Help Manager necessarily
> provide that "priviledge"?
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good point!  I should back up and ask that question first...  So:

Does anyone out there know if the Help Manager will let one launch FS or
Windowed programs?  (Hey, Microsoft!  Are there any Help Gurus there to
answer this one???).

> Cheers,
> Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)
>
> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
> ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
> "Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

Thanks again for the info!!

-Dave Patterson

            l                                 t        t
 oooooo     l    i   v       v    eeeeee     ttttt    ttttt    i
o      o    l    i    v     v    eeeeeeee     t        t       i
o      o    l    i      v v      e            t   t    t   t   i
 oooooo     l    i       v        eeeeee       ttt      ttt    i

========== {ucbvax, etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!davepat ============

"Robin Dey's got a hedgehog named Frank" - Interviewer #1