[comp.os.os2.programmer] OS/2 & clone

loic@litp.ibp.fr (Loic LESCAUDRON) (12/08/90)

Hi,
I plan to buy a 386 based Machine (probably a clone).
But, I've heard that OS/2 is much more slower if it's used on a clone.

Any comment wellcome....
Thanks

Loic LESCAUDRON         |     You may think that life on Earth is very
@litp.ibp.fr            |     expensive.
4, place Jussieu        |     But don't forget that it includes a free
   RXF/LITP lab         |     annual trip around the Sun.
75252 PARIS cedex 05    |
	FRANCE          |

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (12/08/90)

In article <3428@litp.ibp.fr> loic@litp.ibp.fr.UUCP (Loic LESCAUDRON) writes:
>I plan to buy a 386 based Machine (probably a clone).
>But, I've heard that OS/2 is much more slower if it's used on a clone.

Do you have that statement from an IBM dealer ?  :-)

Nonsense.
On my machine - a total clone - it runs the dhrystone test and the core
disk tests (these ones only in the DOS boy) as fast as under DOS, the
core29 data transfer rate is in the DOS box even a bit faster than under
plain DOS.

OS/2 is usable with a machine of ~5000 dhrystones or more and a disk
with ~30ms and ~500kB/sec or faster. Anything slower is really boring.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich