[comp.os.os2.programmer] Summary: Version Control Systems

drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) (12/09/90)

A while back I posted a message inquiring about version control systems
for OS/2.  I got about 8 responses:  3 recommending RCS (both MKS and public
domain) and 5 recommending Polytron's PVCS.   The PVCS users seemed quite
enthusiastic, while the RCS proponents were familiar with SCCS under UNIX.
It's not clear whether the PVCS users had any experience with SCCS.

Interestingly enough, both Polytron and MKS tried to get a hold of me after
seeing my posting, so support from both may be good.  Both companies offer
a 30-day free trial, so we are taking them up on it.

To test the product out, we decided to OS/2 Extended Edition 1.2 and set up a
mini network between 2 computers, with one as the server.  That turned out
to be quite a headache.  We already had Ethernet cards from Excelan (now bought
out by Novell) from a previous Xenix project which we wished to use.
However, OS/2 EE 1.2 had never heard of our cards, and following the
instructions in the manual led to a non-working system.  After 3 days of
screwing around, we managed to kludge it by telling the system that it was
a 3Com card.  The Novell install procedure and the IBM EE install procedure
definitely don't co-operate.

I was also quite shocked by the amount of storage that Extended Edition took
over Standard Edition.  We just wanted to get a network up, not swallow the
rest of our hard drive!  :-)
Oh yes, one other bonus; after installing Extended Edition, there wasn't
enough low memory left to run the DOS compatibility box.  Sigh.

Does anyone know if Standard Edition + Microsoft Lan Manager 2.0 is equivalent
or better than Extended Edition?  I don't know very much about networks, so
excuse me if this is a stupid question.
What are people doing for networking under OS/2?

Jerry Zarycky

Usenet:	{uunet,watmath}!csri.toronto.edu!drz
CSNET:	drz@csri.toronto.edu         EAN:   drz@csri.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	drz@csri.utoronto

mco@hpftc.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec9.004748.28556@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) writes:
>                                          ... The PVCS users seemed quite
>enthusiastic, while the RCS proponents were familiar with SCCS under UNIX.
>It's not clear whether the PVCS users had any experience with SCCS.

I have used all three systems extensively.  RCS and SCCS under UNIX and PVCS
under both DOS and OS/2.  I prefer RCS for portability and simplicity of
operation over PVCS, but PVCS with a good administrator is almost as
painless.  SCCS is rather antequated, but is *standard issue* on UNIX if
your development environment is going to be an off brand of UNIX in the future.

>Does anyone know if Standard Edition + Microsoft Lan Manager 2.0 is equivalent

It is infinetly better.  We run LAN Manager 2.0 and OS/2 1.21 at my workplace
and I have *plenty* of low memory to run large applications in the DOS
compatability box (for instance Windows 3.0, WordPerfect 5.0, etc.).  I will
warn you though, that there are on ethernet drivers available for LAN Manager
2.0 at this time (but if you already have drivers for ethernet under 1.1,
then you might ba able to figure out how to graft them in under 2.0 :-)).
Disk, modem, and printer transparency is *excellent* under 2.0.  By all means,
make the switch.

--
Mark C. Otto   EMail: mco@hpftc.UUCP, {teemc | fmsrl7 | rjf001}!hpftc!mco
Voice: 1-313-390-5001    USnail: 15301 Mercantile, Dearborn, MI. 48120