[comp.os.os2.programmer] Connect OS/2 EE to DECNet

drharvey@chinet.chi.il.us (Douglas Harvey) (12/11/90)

Is there hardware/software available that will allow an IBM PS/2
(micro channel) running IBM OS/2 EE v1.2 to interface to DECnet?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, including opinions
on what works best.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
--
Douglas Harvey                      Email: drharvey@chinet.UUCP
Hewitt Associates                   Compuserve: 72341,104

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec10.192354.3299@chinet.chi.il.us>, drharvey@chinet.chi.il.us (Douglas Harvey) writes:
> Is there hardware/software available that will allow an IBM PS/2
> (micro channel) running IBM OS/2 EE v1.2 to interface to DECnet?
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated, including opinions
> on what works best.
	DEC is supposed to have a new rev of PCSA for OS/2 out in January
	that will support OS/2 rev 1.2.  The current version of PCSA
	for OS/2 only supports OS/2 rev 1.1.  The DEC product is supposed
	to follow the Lan Manager in functionality. The corrective service
	diskettes from IBM for OS/2 r1.21 need to be installed if you are
	going to use any Lan Manager based products with OS/2 EE r1.21.
	(Note:The DEC folks will tell you that PCSA for OS/2 doesn't work
	with EE but they aren't keeping up with what's going on, and if
	you press hard enough you will get a sheepish acknowledgement
	that it does!).  A final warning, DEC has been very unpredictable
	re: PCSA for OS/2 r1.2.  In September they announced October
	availability then all of a sudden 30 days later the date slipped to
	Jan 91!  This really annoyed us (an understatement) and we switched
	away from PCSA to NOVELL! (No we don't have corporate wide DECNET
	capability with NOVELL, we just needed a server NOW for r1.2)

	One related issue to investigate is the possibility of using 3com
	3c503 cards instead of the DEPKA replacements.  The 3coms have
	NDIS support and DEC has been elusive about when it will be available
	for their ethernet cards.