[comp.os.os2.programmer] Advice with using VioGetPhysicalBuffer?

josullvn@vax1.tcd.ie (02/01/91)

Anybody got any advice on producing graphics on OS2 without going through PM? (I
know, I know, stupid but got to do it!)

Basically I have to put up a company logo on an OS2 full-screen when the product
starts up. This being practically a straight DOS conversion, the product is
being given a total DOS feel and thus no PM is wanted.

Micheal Youngs book on OS2 suggest using VioGetPhysicalBuffer to get a hold on
the video ram and then writing directly to it with threads handling switching
and redrawing. It looks very intricate, nasty etc, so I would like to know what
problems are going to be involved in doing this and any experiences anyone has
had in similar circumstances. Any easier way of doing this or a better book on
the subject that Micheal Young's?

	Thanks for any help.
		Joseph O'Sullivan.

n8840371@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Todd Crowe) (02/03/91)

josullvn@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Anybody got any advice on producing graphics on OS2 without going through PM?
>(I know, I know, stupid but got to do it!)

>Basically I have to put up a company logo on an OS2 full-screen when the produc
>starts up. This being practically a straight DOS conversion, the product is
>being given a total DOS feel and thus no PM is wanted.

>Micheal Youngs book on OS2 suggest using VioGetPhysicalBuffer to get a hold on
>the video ram and then writing directly to it with threads handling switching
>and redrawing. It looks very intricate, nasty etc, so I would like to know what
>problems are going to be involved in doing this and any experiences anyone has
>had in similar circumstances. Any easier way of doing this or a better book on
>the subject that Micheal Young's?

I can't give you any specifics, but I played around with this about 6 months
ago.  Take a look at _Inside OS/2_ by Gordon Letwin.  He gives a fairly
complete plain English desciption of how to do it.  The main problem is keeping
track of screen-group switches - relinquishing and regaining control depending
on which group has the screen focus.

           |                   Todd Crowe                        |
           |  n8840371@unicorn.wwu.edu or TODDC@nessie.wwu.edu   |