[comp.os.os2.programmer] Small dialog on my named pipe problem.

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (02/11/91)

From wbonner Sun Feb 10 17:58:06 1991
Subject: Re: Named pipes problem
To: ibmchs!auschs!IVANSTER.austin.ibm.com!ivan@cs.utexas.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 17:58:06 PST

>   You should not preface the pipe name with \\computer.  Just create
> it as \pipe\....  Only when you reference it from another machine
> (as in DosOpen or DosCallNmPipe) should you reference the pipe
> as \\computer\pipe\....

I tried this over the weekend, and it didn't seem to want to work.  I tried
it both on a peer server, and on a full server.

Also, should I reference the pipe, when I'm doing it from another machine, with
a double backslash, or a single one?  Theaat may have been my problem. I'll have
to check the code, but I may have been using a single slash, as that is what the
book says is needed.

If the server is running, should I be able, on the same machine, to tell the
client program to look for the pipe on the machine?  As in
\\servername\pipe\pipename ????

--
|  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  |
| 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu |

From ibmchs!auschs!IVANSTER.austin.ibm.com!ivan@cs.utexas.edu Fri Feb  8 15:01 PST 1991
From: ibmchs!auschs!IVANSTER.austin.ibm.com!ivan@cs.utexas.edu
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 16:31:44 CST
To: @auschs:ibmchs!cs.utexas.edu!yoda.eecs.wsu.edu!wbonner
Subject: Named pipes problem

Wim,
  You should not preface the pipe name with \\computer.  Just create
it as \pipe\....  Only when you reference it from another machine
(as in DosOpen or DosCallNmPipe) should you reference the pipe
as \\computer\pipe\....

  I have a hard time posting to netnews, so you might post this info
out there.

Ivan M. Milman  IBM/Austin  512-823-9425
..cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!ivanster!ivan

--
|  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  |
| 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu |