[comp.os.os2.programmer] MKS Shell .vs. Hamilton Shell

cpalmer@swamp.watson.ibm.com (02/14/91)

I'm considering which of the above shell/utility collections I want to
recommend to a group of OS/2 folks who are moving to AIX.
Does anyone have any experiences with either or both of these packages?

Charles C. Palmer ( cpalmer@cpalmer.watson.ibm.com )
Network Design Tools               Tie 863-7411      914/784-7411
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center   P.O.Box 704       Yorktown Heights,
NY  10598

wohler@sapwdf.UUCP (Bill Wohler) (02/15/91)

[this was originally a private reply, but:
	550 cpalmer@swamp.watson.ibm.com... Host unknown (Authoritative answer
	from name server)
charles, will you please post a return address that works. --bw]

cpalmer@swamp.watson.ibm.com writes:
>I'm considering which of the above shell/utility collections I want to
>recommend to a group of OS/2 folks who are moving to AIX.
>Does anyone have any experiences with either or both of these packages?

charles,

  i'm using the mks toolkit on os2.  the ksh is not bad.  there are a
  couple of annoying little problems (like C-p either doesn't work in
  a window or locks up the system in a full-screen rather than
  scrolling backwards through the history, but the up-arrow does this fine).
  their email folks are very responsive and say that this will be
  fixed soon and that they'll send us new copies.  besides that one
  problem, it works identically to the ksh on aix.

  i use the same .kshrc on both aix and os2 and the only thing that is
  different between them is the syntax and contents of the PATH and
  CDPATH variables.

  i've been happy with the shell and it sure beats the hell out of the
  os2 shell.

						--bw
						wohler@sap-ag.de

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (02/17/91)

In article <2589@sapwdf.UUCP> Bill Wohler <wohler@sap-ag.de> writes:

>  i'm using the mks toolkit on os2.  the ksh is not bad.  there are a
>  couple of annoying little problems (like C-p either doesn't work in
>  a window or locks up the system in a full-screen rather than
>  scrolling backwards through the history, but the up-arrow does this fine).

This is annoying isn't it?  Actually from what I've figured out,
Ctrl-p only locks up the full-screen mode if you have the print queue
disabled.  This is because the standard CMD shell or some other
keyboard monitor is picking up the Ctrl-p and assumes that you want to
copy all output to the printer. (If you have a printer attached and
you do this by accident, it is not a pretty sight :-) I find that if
you hit Ctrl-p by accident, you hit it again immediately to prevent
problems.