[comp.os.os2.programmer] Screen Captures in OS/2

eyethink@saturn.ucsc.edu (Carl A. Wescott) (03/21/91)

I'm new to these groups, and haven't seen a FAQ yet, so...

If there is a FAQ that answers my question, please email it to me.

Otherwise...

I'm looking for screen capture programs for OS/2.  Please
send me any relevant information.  I'll summarize and post.
I'd like name of program, name of company, phone number,
which OS/2 versions, price, any experience with program good or bad, etc.

I create software demonstrations for the Mac & DOS.  It's time
to diversify into OS/2 and UNIX.  If discussing such projects
(interactive, multimedia presentations on various operating
systems including OS/2) appeals to you, send me email.

Thanks!

Carl
--
"Yes, terrycloth beach towels are fractal objects, at least over a limited

roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) (03/22/91)

In article <13654@darkstar.ucsc.edu> eyethink@saturn.ucsc.edu
           (Carl A. Wescott) writes:

=> I'm looking for screen capture programs for OS/2.  Please
=> send me any relevant information.  I'll summarize and post.
=> I'd like name of program, name of company, phone number,
=> which OS/2 versions, price, any experience with program good or bad, etc.

The December 1990/January 1991 issue of "OS/2 and Windows Magazine" (now
retitled "Windows and OS/2 Magazine"!!!) reviews screen capture programs.
They discuss and list exactly two OS/2 programs:

     Collage PM from Inner Media Inc.                   Price: $199
     (Requires OS/2 v1.2 or higher)

     Inner Media Inc.
     60 Plain Road
     Hollis, NH 03049
     (603) 465-3216

     Clip'nSave from Dynalink Technologies Inc.         Price: $149
     (Requires OS/2 v1.2 or higher)

     Dynalink Technologies Inc.
     32 Courval
     Kirkland, Quebec
     Canada  H9H 3W6
     (514) 630-7663

I have not yet used either of these, so I cannot comment.  However,
Dynalink also put out a shareware screen capture ($45 from memory)
heavily based on a synthesis of several of the examples which come with
the version 1.2 Microsoft PM-SDK.  This appeared to work quite well
when a friend of mine showed it to me, and leads me to believe that
the Dynalink product will do the job.  Their shareware offering
certainly appeared to support a wide variety of output file formats,
which might be useful if export to other applications is needed.

The actual article was remarkably unhelpful in terms of opinion, but
did provide a one-page cross reference chart of supported features.
I have no means of verifying its accuracy but, if it is to be trusted,
you would need both programs to do all the things one might reasonably
expect to need.

Before I read this article, I contacted all the vendors of leading Windows
and MS-DOS screen capture products (none of which were mentioned in the
magazine article!) and asked them about OS/2 PM versions of their products.
All stated that they were considering but not actively addressing the issue.
None were prepared to commit to an availability date, which suggests a
measure of honesty.

If anyone has other leads, please post or e-mail; this is something that
interests me too.

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley  UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!roberts   | 3755 Riverside Drive
Cognos, Inc.    INet: roberts%cognos.uucp@ccs.carleton.ca | PO Box 9707, Ottawa

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (03/23/91)

In article <9426@cognos.UUCP>, roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
> In article <13654@darkstar.ucsc.edu> eyethink@saturn.ucsc.edu
>            (Carl A. Wescott) writes:
>
> => I'm looking for screen capture programs for OS/2.  Please
> => send me any relevant information.  I'll summarize and post.
> => I'd like name of program, name of company, phone number,
> => which OS/2 versions, price, any experience with program good or bad, etc.
>
> The December 1990/January 1991 issue of "OS/2 and Windows Magazine" (now
> retitled "Windows and OS/2 Magazine"!!!) reviews screen capture programs.
> They discuss and list exactly two OS/2 programs:
>
>      Collage PM from Inner Media Inc.                   Price: $199
>      (Requires OS/2 v1.2 or higher)
>
>      Inner Media Inc.
>      60 Plain Road
>      Hollis, NH 03049
>      (603) 465-3216
>
>      Clip'nSave from Dynalink Technologies Inc.         Price: $149
>      (Requires OS/2 v1.2 or higher)
>
>      Dynalink Technologies Inc.
>      32 Courval
>      Kirkland, Quebec
>      Canada  H9H 3W6
>      (514) 630-7663
>
> I have not yet used either of these, so I cannot comment.  However,
> Dynalink also put out a shareware screen capture ($45 from memory)
> heavily based on a synthesis of several of the examples which come with
> the version 1.2 Microsoft PM-SDK.  This appeared to work quite well
> when a friend of mine showed it to me, and leads me to believe that
> the Dynalink product will do the job.  Their shareware offering
> certainly appeared to support a wide variety of output file formats,
> which might be useful if export to other applications is needed.

I've used the shareware product from Dynalink, currently called Clip1.1B.
I think it's pretty good.  The shareware cost is $20.00, and their
readme file says that the commercial version adds background bitmap printing,
256 colour support, colour postscript, RTF, grayscale options for all
file formats, active window capturing, configurable hotkeys, LZW compression,
better Postscript compression.

The shareware version does me fine: I got it from Pete Norloff's BBS.
(Phone number: 703-385-4325)

> The actual article was remarkably unhelpful in terms of opinion, but
> did provide a one-page cross reference chart of supported features.
> I have no means of verifying its accuracy but, if it is to be trusted,
> you would need both programs to do all the things one might reasonably
> expect to need.
>
> Before I read this article, I contacted all the vendors of leading Windows
> and MS-DOS screen capture products (none of which were mentioned in the
> magazine article!) and asked them about OS/2 PM versions of their products.
> All stated that they were considering but not actively addressing the issue.
> None were prepared to commit to an availability date, which suggests a
> measure of honesty.
>
> If anyone has other leads, please post or e-mail; this is something that
> interests me too.
>
> Robert_S
> --
> Robert Stanley  UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!roberts   | 3755 Riverside Drive
> Cognos, Inc.    INet: roberts%cognos.uucp@ccs.carleton.ca | PO Box 9707, Ottawa
> (Research)     Alice: (613) 738-1338 x6115 (EST/EDT)      | Ont  K1G 3Z4, Canada
>   [I haven't really lost my mind, I'm sure I have a backup on tape somewhere.]
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX