[comp.os.os2.programmer] RC Problem

09710@brahms.udel.edu (John Schumacher) (03/06/91)

I am embarassed to ask this but I am having problems getting RC to work.
I just installed a new version of OS/2 (1.3EE) and the OS/2 Toolkit (IBM 1.3)
on my system. I tried to recompile several programs but RC keeps giving me
the following error message:
	EXEC of RCPP failed: No such file or directory.
I checked my include paths and path environment variable and they point
to the executable for the RC compiler (and RCPP) as well as all of the
file included in my resource file. The message doesn't tell me exactly what
it can't find and although I am sure it is something stupid on my part I
at my ends wit. Any suggestions would be of great help.

John

db3l@arnor.UUCP (David Bolen) (03/07/91)

In article <19349@brahms.udel.edu> 09710@brahms.udel.edu (John Schumacher) writes:

>I am embarassed to ask this but I am having problems getting RC to work.

Don't be embarassed by this - when it works RC is ok, but it's definitely not
a winner in the useful error message department when it doesn't.

>I just installed a new version of OS/2 (1.3EE) and the OS/2 Toolkit (IBM 1.3)
>on my system. I tried to recompile several programs but RC keeps giving me
>the following error message:
> EXEC of RCPP failed: No such file or directory.
>I checked my include paths and path environment variable and they point
>to the executable for the RC compiler (and RCPP) (...)

Well, I can't be positive about 1.3, but I know with the 1.2 toolkit there
was a problem with the resource compiler that if the directory containing
RCPP.EXE was more than 128 bytes (or so) down your PATH specification, it
couldn't find the file to load.  So if you have a very long PATH set up, try
moving the directory containing the toolkit binaries earlier in the PATH and
see if the run succeeds.

--
-- David
 \                             David Bolen                             /

jwalker@Micrognosis.los-gatos.CA.US (John Walker) (03/07/91)

In article <19349@brahms.udel.edu> 09710@brahms.udel.edu (John Schumacher) writes:
>I am embarassed to ask this but I am having problems getting RC to work.
>I just installed a new version of OS/2 (1.3EE) and the OS/2 Toolkit (IBM 1.3)
>on my system. I tried to recompile several programs but RC keeps giving me
>the following error message:
>	EXEC of RCPP failed: No such file or directory.
>I checked my include paths and path environment variable and they point
>to the executable for the RC compiler (and RCPP) as well as all of the
>file included in my resource file. The message doesn't tell me exactly what
>it can't find and although I am sure it is something stupid on my part I
>at my ends wit. Any suggestions would be of great help.
>
>John

	Its not something stupid on your part, its something stupid on RC's
part. RC does not handle a PATH longer than 153 characters. If you have the
location of RCPP.EXE in the first 153 characters of your path then RC will
work.

					- John

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        ////|  ////|		John J. Walker
       ////|| ////||		475 Alberto Way, Suite 200
      ////|||////|||		Los Gatos, CA 95008
     //// |||/// |||		(408) 399-4006

     Micrognosis Inc.		jwalker@micrognosis.los-gatos.ca.us
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ibmman@eng.clemson.edu ((the) IBMMAN) (03/07/91)

From article <19349@brahms.udel.edu>, by 09710@brahms.udel.edu (John Schumacher):
> 	EXEC of RCPP failed: No such file or directory.

Make sure the directory with RC in it (/TOOLKT1x/BIN) is in the first 128
characters of the path (completely within the first 128).  This is a bug
in the compiler that was supposed to be fixed but never was.

Cheers,

yozzo@watson.ibm.com (03/24/91)

> I am embarassed to ask this but I am having problems getting RC to work.
> I just installed a new version of OS/2 (1.3EE) and the OS/2 Toolkit (IBM 1.3)
> on my system. I tried to recompile several programs but RC keeps giving me
> the following error message:
>      EXEC of RCPP failed: No such file or directory.
>
> John

Make sure that your PATH is not too long (< 120 bytes, I believe)
The older Microsoft library does not seem to handle large PATHs
well.

Ralph Yozzo (yozzo@watson.ibm.com)