[comp.os.os2.programmer] C on OS/2

johns@cs.umr.edu (John Stone) (03/22/91)

    What C compiler does everyone use for OS/2?
Is there a a GNU gcc or g++ out there for OS/2?
How much do the commercial OS/2 compilers cost?
Are there make utilities for OS/2?
How hard is it to port Unix apps to OS/2 ?
I have a raytracer that I would like to port to OS/2
and I have a few other things as well, and they compile
primarily under unix. Another interest is the pbmplus
bitmap package out on the net.

Any info is appreciated

       John E. Stone
       johns@cs.umr.edu

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) (03/22/91)

John: I use Microsoft C 6, and it's very pleasant to use (background
compilations,codeview debugger,_fastcall convention..)

Ray tracers? Oh good - I have ported the DKB ray tracer (available
from LISTSERV@BLEKUL11.BITNET) to OS/2. If it's a different ray
tracer you are working on, sure, I'd be interested in it.  -turgut

mikem@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (03/24/91)

In article <2456@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> johns@cs.umr.edu (John Stone) writes:

>    What C compiler does everyone use for OS/2?
>Is there a a GNU gcc or g++ out there for OS/2?
>How much do the commercial OS/2 compilers cost?
>Are there make utilities for OS/2?
>How hard is it to port Unix apps to OS/2 ?

Most probably use MS C 6.0. I think it retails for $349 through
a mail order firm called The Programmer's Shop (800-421-8006).
They have a catalog that lists most of the commercial products
such as Unix ports, C++, etc. Lattice C was listed for $189,
Zortech C++ for $519.

Michael R. MacFaden    IBM Palo Alto     Marketing Systems
mikem@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com, macfaden@paloic1.iinus1.ibm.com
disclaimer: ..the usual...

bright@nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) (03/29/91)

In article <2456@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> johns@cs.umr.edu (John Stone) writes:
/    What C compiler does everyone use for OS/2?
We here at Zortech use Zortech C/C++ for OS/2 :-)

/Are there make utilities for OS/2?
One comes with ZTC/C++.

/How hard is it to port Unix apps to OS/2 ?
It depends on how much of the code depends on unix-specific features
(like sockets). Also, watch out for assumptions about pointer and int sizes.

/I have a raytracer that I would like to port to OS/2
/and I have a few other things as well, and they compile
/primarily under unix.
Zortech's FG graphics package works under OS/2 without the need to rewrite
your program into a PM app.

For more information, call us at 800-848-8408.

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (03/31/91)

    I hate flaming on the NET but:

WHY IN HECK does ZTC++ have PROTECTION VIOLATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! (OS/2 Version)
One can "dance around" the PV's buy not using their Workbench and by
puttting flags in a certain order, but --

 THIS IS NOT ACCEPTIBLE BEHAVIOR FOR A COMMERCIAL ** COMPILER ***

   Its does not instill me with a great amount of confidence in the
Zortech series of products, their programmers and most specifically
their QT department or beta testers.

   I realize that application WILL have BUGS, but guys come on --
PROTECTION VIOLATIONS! These seem to me to be the MOST obvious form of
bugs in a application, they are VERY easy to spot (Half :-) ) and are
pretty specific in their meaning.

   Now I am a programmer and I realize the AMOUNT of BLOOD, SWEAT and
TEARS in writing, debugging and "specing" code. (And I don't work in
the REAL world yet!) So -- When is there going to be a bug fix?
Zortech's other products seem MUCH stabler....

   ( All above statements/flames were generated after watching a ZTC++
Development System crash and burn on a P70 w/6-8M RAM and running OS/2
1.2 and 1.3 EE)

--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!