[comp.os.os2.programmer] IPC from DOS box under 2.0?

BR.MJC@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Carroll) (06/18/91)

I haven't been able to find any definite or detailed information about
interprocess communication, under OS/2 2.0, between a program running in a DOS
compatibility box and an OS/2 program.

Anybody seen anything that's not just hype and/or conjecture? -- Thanks.

Mike Carroll
R.L.G.                               Internet: br.mjc@forsythe.stanfor.edu
1200 Villa                           Bitnet: br.mjc@rlg.bitnet
Mountain View, CA 94041

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu (Joe Herman) (06/18/91)

BR.MJC@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Carroll) writes:

>I haven't been able to find any definite or detailed information about
>interprocess communication, under OS/2 2.0, between a program running in a DOS
>compatibility box and an OS/2 program.

>Anybody seen anything that's not just hype and/or conjecture? -- Thanks.

Well, since OS/2 will support DPMI, you would probably do IPC between
DOS boxes and an OS/2 program via INT 2F calls.  That's how I do it
under windows, and OS/2 will support the same method.  Now, if you're
asking "will there be an IPC toolkit?", that I can't answer (I'd be
surprised if there was).

				Joe Herman
				U. of Maryland

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu
--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

car@public.BTR.COM (Carlos Rimola-Sarti car@btr.com) (06/20/91)

-
->I haven't been able to find any definite or detailed information about
->interprocess communication, under OS/2 2.0, between a program running in a DOS
->compatibility box and an OS/2 program.
-
->Anybody seen anything that's not just hype and/or conjecture? -- Thanks.
-
-Well, since OS/2 will support DPMI, you would probably do IPC between
-DOS boxes and an OS/2 program via INT 2F calls.  That's how I do it
-under windows, and OS/2 will support the same method.  Now, if you're
-asking "will there be an IPC toolkit?", that I can't answer (I'd be
-surprised if there was).
-
-				Joe Herman
-				U. of Maryland
-
-dzoey@terminus.umd.edu
---
-"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

Although I have not personally tried it, I am certain that you can use
named pipes for OS/2 <--> DOS IPC.  However, I believe DOS may not have
the capability to create the pipe, only open it.

| Carlos Rimola-Sarti			|		email: car@btr.com  |
| Communications Solutions, Inc.	|		phone: 415-903-2585 |