[comp.os.os2.programmer] IFS Spec

larrys@watson.ibm.com (06/24/91)

In <22612.2861bfad@cluster.ukc.ac.uk>, cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) writes:
>I have been trying to find out how to do this for some time. The general
>impression I have is that the interface isn't published because it is liable
>to change. I am reliably informed that it changes a lot in version 2.0.
>
>Having said that, I'd still be interested in any scraps of information that
>people post. I volunteer to collect together what we can get into a single
>document that can be maintained somewhere....

It is true that IBM does not publish it so that they do not get caught in
the "backward compatibility" loop that has inhibited the progress of so
many other things in the past.

The "official" way (according to IBM - Boca Raton) is that you need to
become a member of the "Developer Assistance Program" in order to obtain
a copy of the IFS spec for a specific version of OS/2.  Contact an IBM
SE to get more information, or send me a note, and I'll see what I can
come up with (but I'm a programmer, so don't expect TOO much...  *grin*).

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/25/91)

The problem with joining IBM's developer program is the same as with
Microsoft... IBM wants to know everything about what you're up to
before it decides whether to give you what you asked for. I prefer to keep
to myself whatever product development plans I might have.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

I voted for Bush once.  As it's turning out, once was once too often.