[bionet.users.addresses] Batch queries to LISTSERV and NOT to distribution LIST

harper@cc.helsinki.fi ( Robert A. L. Harper ) (06/06/90)

In article <9006051423.AA29824@genbank.bio.net>, EEFA06B@calstate.bitnet (RON COOKE) writes:
> //Bionaut JOB
> Database search DD=Mine
> //Mine DD *
> Search USA in bio+naut
> /*

There is always the problem of knowing when to send to the LIST and when
to send to LISTSERV... people are always getting them mixed up.

In my note about batch jobs I mentioned TWICE that the job should be sent
to LISTSERV@IRLEARN and it should NOT be sent to the LIST BIO-NAUT@IRLEARN.

When you send it to the LIST BIO-NAUT@IRLEARN it just gets redistributed
as a mail message to all the subscribers to the list and you will NEVER
get any answers to your batch job query. All the messages that get sent
to BIONAUT are stored in a NOTEBOOK and the batch job when sent to
LISTSERV@IRLEARN will go through all the entries in the BIONAUT NOTEBOOK
and return  hits for the query line SEARCH USA IN BIONAUT.

You will only get a reply to your batch job if you send it to
LISTSERV@IRLEARN I thought I had better make this clear so that
other people do not make the same mistake.

Rob "we learn form our mistakes" Harper