[bionet.users.addresses] PLEARN for the benifit of Usenet users...

harper@csc.fi (Rob Harper (Supercomputer Centre Finland)) (10/04/90)

################  This is not a duplicate  ################
##########   it just never made it to USENET  #############

As moderator of the BIOSCI lists at IRLEARN I usually get notification
when a new person joins the lists. So it was rather a historic occasion
when BIOSCI got its first subscription from the "east".

Being interested in the development of "telestroika" I wrote the subscriber
a note asking him for a few facts, and also asked if I could post his reply
to BIONAUT. Here are the replies.

********************** EXTRACT No 1 ************************
Hello Robert !

  Thank you for your reply. I have nothing against if you will send my text
edited to BIONAUT. You can also include my ID@NODE. Everybody in the network
can feel free about sending me any questions, at least so long as I am the
only one biologist using BITNET/EARN at PLEARN/PLWAUW12.

                                                Sincerly,

                                                Michael Materny

********************* EXTRACT No 2 **************************

>From: Michael Materny <BBL07@PLEARN.BITNET>
>Subject: RE: Greetings from the moderator of the Biosci lists at Irlearn
>To: "Robert Harper (CSC) Finland" <HARPER@CSC.FI>

   It was suprising to me that I am the first person from Poland who join
to the BIOSCI lists. I thought that although PLEARN node of BITNET/EARN
was settlet up quite recently, there are some Polish scientists using BIOSCI
undirectly. They has such possibility because of their connections with
Western Europe universities. Probably activity of our physicists is better
then biologists (I hope so). In my opinion, there are about 3500 users of
BITNET from Poland.

   I am a biologist, with speciasation in biochemistry (enzymology) and some
experience in moloecular genetic. Recently I have started to work in the
field of chemotaxonomy. I have finished my study at Warsaw University two
years ago, but become a research worker at that universyty one year earlier.
In the same time I have started to work at Polish Academy of Science to
get good background in molecular genetic. Now I am also a member of our
computer center network menagement staff.

  Now answers to Your questions :

Q: Where did you hear about BIOSCI?
0) Informations about BIOSCI I have from BIOSERVE AT UMDC and BIOBIT
   electronic magazine

Q: How many BITNET sites in POLAND?
1) In Poland now are active two sites :
                          PLEARN
                          PLWAUW12
 both at Warsaw University. In the near future there will be three next
   sites : in Wroclaw, Torun and another one in Warsaw.

Q: Are there delays in receiving E-mail?
2) Transfer of mail is stable, but delays, e.g. between PLEARN and
   FRCEP11, sometimes are longer then three days. PLWAUW12 will be
   stable in next week.

Q: Other countries form the Easten block on BITNET?
3) Only two countries from the Eastern Block are connected to BITNET/EARN.
   There are :
         Czechoslowakia
             active site: CSEARN, Czech Techical University, Prague
         Hungary
             active site: HUEARN, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest

Best regards from real wild world

      Michael Materny

         %% Robert Harper  %%   HARPER@FINFUN    %%    HARPER@CSC.FI   %%
-=ROB=-  %% Supercomputer  %%      Bitnet        %%       Internet     %%
         %% Centre Finland %% Tel 358 0 4572076  %% Fax 358 0 4572302  %%