[bionet.users.addresses] The usefulness of FINGER....

harper@csc.fi (Rob Harper (Supercomputer Centre Finland)) (10/05/90)

In article <Oct.4.17.30.09.1990.20647@genbank.bio.net>, kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:
> One note here, although "finger" is available on UNIX systems, the type
> of "fingering" of people on other computers that Rob mentioned is
> dependent upon having an Internet connection.  People on BITNET with
> UNIX machines would not be able to use this to scan goings on on other
> machines.

Indeed you are right Dave.

When BIONAUT started we had a flurry of "electronic resumes".
They are all neatly stored in the notebooks at IRLEARN. This is
the "BITNET solution". The "INTERNET solution" would be for
everyone to put a ".plan" in their root directory. On UNIX and
INTERNET I can FINGER network addresses and find out more about
the people behind the names... here are a few examples.
There is lots of interesting information to be gleaned from
FINGERING addresses.

> sun4 /csc/harper 5> finger hunter@work.nlm.nih.gov
> [work.nlm.nih.gov]
> Login name: hunter                      In real life: Larry Hunter
> Office:  CSB, 496-9300
> Directory: /usr/people/hunter           Shell: /bin/tcsh
> Mail to hunter@work

Larry could do with a .plan.

> sun4 /csc/harper 6> finger kristoff@genbank.bio.net
> [genbank.bio.net]
> Login name: kristoff                    In real life: David Kristofferson
> Directory: /gos/staff/genbank/kristoff  Shell: /usr/local/bin/mencsh
> Last login Thu Oct  4 10:23 on ttyp7 from karyon.bio.net
> New mail received Fri Oct  5 00:55:09 1990;
>   unread since Thu Oct  4 19:30:04 1990
> Plan:
>                                     HELLO
>
> David Kristofferson, Ph.D.,
> Formerly a world-famous microtubule researcher with
> Dan Purich and Marc Kirschner.
> Belatedly succumbed to the lure of computers!
> Now goes under the guise of GenBank Manager.
> Research Experience: Tubulin, Microtubule Dynamics, Mathematical
>                      Modeling of Biological Dynamics, Acetylcholine
>                      Receptor (with Bob Stroud), Structural Biology
> Phone Number:   415-962-7339
> Postdocs of the World Unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

Well......... you live and learn.

> sun4 /csc/harper 7> finger dbd@theory.bchs.uh.edu
> [theory.bchs.uh.edu]
> Login name: dbd                         In real life: Dan Davison
> Directory: /home/dbd                    Shell: /bin/csh
> On since Oct  3 11:02:33 on console     10 hours Idle Time
> Mail last read Thu Oct  4 22:48:13 1990
> Plan:
> Dan Davison
> Dept. of Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences   home address:
> University of Houston                           2425 Holly Hall #F-89
> 4800 Calhoun                                    Houston, Tx 77054
> Houston, Tx 77204-5500                          713-794-0531 (human)
> 713-749-2801 (dept office)                      713-749-0532 (computer)
> davison@uh.edu (Internet)
> DAVISON@UHOU (BITNET)
> Alleged Molecular Biologist
> Unix hardware and software wizard, first class
> VMS hw/sw wizard, 3d class
> Ethernet hw/sw wizard, 2nd class
> Short-range plan: survival
> Long-range plan:  survival

Must really be a wizard since he uses csh :-)

Rob "got to get myself a .plan" Harper