[bionet.users.addresses] Biotechnology Research Faculty Database

gar@ECERSG.NCSU.EDU ("Dr. Gary Ruggles") (04/21/91)

This information should be of interest to many people served by
the BIO_NAUT system:

The North Carolina Biotechnology Center has undertaken a major project
to enhance information exchange and knowledge in the biotech. community.
They are in the process of creating a database of United States faculty
engaged in Biotechnology-related research.   You may have seen this
mentioned in various professional journals, or in Science magazine.
Well, it is going very well.  The database and book will include
detailed information on approximately 4,000 faculty members at
hundreds of universities across the United States.  Information
contained includes Name, address, phone, fax, # grad students,
research description in the faculty member's own words, research
taxonomy for convenient searching (based on a 29 category system),
types of organisms used, types of research techniques used, etc.

The book version is being published by the Bureau of National Affairs
in Washington DC.  The electronic database will provide separate
fields for all of the above for convenient searching and list
and/or report generation.  The database will be distributed by the
North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Research Triangle Park, NC.

Availability should be sometime in Late July or August for the book,
and mid July for the database.

This is prelimianry information.  I will resend an update sometime
in May to concide with official press releases.
For more information contact NCBC at 919-541-9366 and inquire about
the Biotechnology Research Faculty Profile.  I will be happy to
answer questions as well if you would prefer to email:

	gar@ecersg.ncsu.edu

harper@csc.fi (04/22/91)

In article <9104201931.AA08831@genbank.bio.net>, gar@ECERSG.NCSU.EDU ("Dr. Gary Ruggles") writes:
> This information should be of interest to many people served by
> the BIO_NAUT system:
>
> The North Carolina Biotechnology Center has undertaken a major project
> to enhance information exchange and knowledge in the biotech. community.
> They are in the process of creating a database of United States faculty
> engaged in Biotechnology-related research.   You may have seen this
> mentioned in various professional journals, or in Science magazine.
> Well, it is going very well.  The database and book will include
> detailed information on approximately 4,000 faculty members at
> hundreds of universities across the United States.  Information
> contained includes Name, address, phone, fax, # grad students,
> research description in the faculty member's own words, research
> taxonomy for convenient searching (based on a 29 category system),
> types of organisms used, types of research techniques used, etc.

    This sounds like a very useful project. I wonder if anybody
    in Europe is putting together something similar, or if some
    European database already exists?

    I would be interested to know how you have set up your database,
    is it on a mainframe or a PC, and what type of programme are you
    using to manage the data?

> The book version is being published by the Bureau of National Affairs
> in Washington DC.  The electronic database will provide separate
> fields for all of the above for convenient searching and list
> and/or report generation.  The database will be distributed by the
> North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Research Triangle Park, NC.

    Do you intend to have the data online at some anonymous ftp server?
    Or is this a commercial venture?

    Best regards

    Robert Harper.