[bit.listserv.policy-l] Educating users

GBNEWBY@SUNRISE.BITNET (Gregory B. Newby) (01/18/90)

On Wed, 17 Jan 90 10:50:00 EDT, BITNET%"TLIMONCE@DREW.BITNET
(Tom Limoncelli @ Drew Univ.) writes:

>The gripe/solutions ratio is pretty high.  Does anyone have any
>suggestions on how to prevent this?
>
>1.  "Tell sites to inform their users."

Why not educate each user when they first get a computer account?
At Syracuse U., they force each student to see a movie on responsibilities
etc. before getting a student loan check.  Isn't it reasonable to
have some sessions at the beginning of each semester, where new
users can hear about these important things?

The time investment by computer support departments seems fairly
minimal.  It would even be reasonable to set up a net-wide
curriculum for such a course, complete with a few handouts and
a "Net User Contract" for new users to sign.

If such a program were instituted, we would have clear recourse
to remove both offending users (for not upholding their contract
obligations to be a responsible user), AND we would have recourse
for institutions which repeatedly produce offenders (for not
educating their users).

> Ah, the old "monthly posting arguement".

Listserv'ers produce a message about signing on and off lists
whenever you join one.  Why not include some brief usage guidelines,
and instructions for getting more detailed guidelines, with the
"Welcome" message?  (Eric, are you listening?)  Now, THIS would
be  e a s y .

>I would like to hear what other people think about this.  I think
>there is a lot of room for discussion here.

Room for cooperation and collective action, too.  For the benefit
of everyone.

-- Greg Newby
   School of Information Studies
   Syracuse University