[comp.lsi.cad] CIF plot on HP plotters?

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (04/23/89)

In article <1973@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) writes:
>Does anyone have a good utility for printing a CIF or magic file on an
>HP7475 plotter?  I have the drivers for getting plot(5) format out on
>this plotter, but I can't find anything that does a good CIF plot for
>this beast.  This is for a Sun3 running SunOS 4.0.1, if that matters.

	I have been using penplot to do just such thing. Penplot takes a
CIF input and generates HPGL which goes to the plotter. I think that most of the
HP plotters use HPGL as thier interface and thus penplot sould do what you want.
There may be a need for minor mods if any to make it run on a diff HP plotter
model.  I have used it on the HP7580 and HP7550 with no problems.

	Get in touch with me if you want more info on this.

Name:	Marco Zelada			Phone:	617 353 9882, Fax: 353 6322
	VLSI CAD Engineer 		E-mail:	marco@buengc.bu.edu
Dept:	Electrical & Computer Eng.	Mail:	44 Cummington St. Room 236
Org:	Boston University		 	Boston MA, 02215

cees@tamtam.UUCP (cees keyer) (04/24/89)

In article <2633@buengc.BU.EDU> marco@buengc.bu.edu (Marco Zelada) writes:
>In article <1973@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) writes:
>
>	I have been using penplot to do just such thing. Penplot takes a
>CIF input and generates HPGL which goes to the plotter. I think that most of the
>HP plotters use HPGL as thier interface and thus penplot sould do what you want.
>There may be a need for minor mods if any to make it run on a diff HP plotter
>model.  I have used it on the HP7580 and HP7550 with no problems.
>
>	Get in touch with me if you want more info on this.
>--
Could you send me a copy of the source code for penplot.
We are trying to setup a course in VLSI design and we are using
the "NELSIS" software package from the Technical universities in the
Netherlands. We are looking for support software. We have picked the
switch level simulator from MIT off the net and we don't know the input
format off the files. We are also looking for the CIF files as presented
in the last pages off the book " The VLSI designers library".

Thanks in advance
Cees Keyer.

--
DISCLAIMER: All the opinions expressed are my own.
Cees Keyer, Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam.

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (04/27/89)

In article <212@tamtam.UUCP> cees@tamtam.UUCP (cees keyer) writes:

>Could you send me a copy of the source code for penplot.
>We are trying to setup a course in VLSI design and we are using
>the "NELSIS" software package from the Technical universities in the
>Netherlands. We are looking for support software. We have picked the
>switch level simulator from MIT off the net and we don't know the input
>format off the files. We are also looking for the CIF files as presented
>in the last pages off the book " The VLSI designers library".

	I have the penplot source, but can not send it to you due to licensing
limitations. However, you can get it from Washington University, they distribute
a set of tools that you may find usefull to support your course in VLSI design.

	The person to contact at W.U, for this is Vicki Palm at:

	palm@june.cs.washington.edu

	The set of tools includes simulators, IC editors, module generators,
etc. and they all come properly documented with examples.

	I am not sure which cells you are talking about. There are some cell
libraries available from MOSIS, but I am not sure that these are what you
mean. At any rate, you could ask more about this to Sam Delatorre at the MOSIS
Service: e-mail -> DELATORR@VLSI-CAD.ISI.EDU

	Hope this helps.