[comp.lsi.cad] SPICE probs

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (04/22/89)

From a SPICE neophyte...

I am trying to make a model for a schottky diode.  I set the eg parameter
to .69 as stated in the manual, but the model continues to behave as a
regular silicon diode.  What else must I do?

I am using HSPICE on Sun.
Thanks. -Stan

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (04/24/89)

In article <38973@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
 >From a SPICE neophyte...
 >
 >I am trying to make a model for a schottky diode.  I set the eg parameter
 >to .69 as stated in the manual, but the model continues to behave as a
 >regular silicon diode.  What else must I do?
 >
 >I am using HSPICE on Sun.
 >Thanks. -Stan

No guarantees of course, but you might find these helpful:

	* 1N4150 (a very fast silicon diode)
	.MODEL   Dsil      D(  RS=1.16   IS=2E-14
	+                      EG=1.11   CJO=2.5P
	+                      N=1.0     M=0.5
	+                      PB=0.6    TT=2.6E-9)
	*
	* MBD101 schottky diode
	.MODEL   Dsch      D(  RS=2.00   IS=2E-14
	+                      EG=0.69   CJO=1.5P
	+                      N=1.0     M=0.5
	+                      PB=0.4    TT=1.0E-9)
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

rd@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dick Dowell) (05/01/89)

 >I am trying to make a model for a schottky diode.  I set the eg parameter
 >to .69 as stated in the manual, but the model continues to behave as a
 >regular silicon diode.  What else must I do?

 EG is only used in the calculation of IS versus temperature.  I'm no expert,
 but I think the "room temperature" difference in Schottky versus regular
 diodes is the forward voltage drop.  You can either put a larger value
 for IS, or a smaller value for N in to change this.  Probably the larger
 value for IS is most correct.

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (05/03/89)

In article <4240001@hpcilzb.HP.COM> rd@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dick Dowell) writes:
> EG is only used in the calculation of IS versus temperature.
> You can either put a larger value
> for IS, or a smaller value for N in to change this.

Thanks for your reply.
I ended up calling the HSPICE hotline and they suggested the lower value
for N, which is what I did and it is behaving as I would expect.
-Stan