[comp.lsi.cad] Layout Editor wanted !

ladage@unidocv..uucp (Lorenz Ladage) (06/19/89)

I am looking for a layout editor which runs on a SUN3 oder SUN4
workstation under SunOS Release 4.0, e.g. KIC or something like that.

It is only for internal use at the computer science department at
University of Dortmund.

			Thanks in advance

Lorenz Ladage                              ladage%unidocv@unido.uucp
University of Dortmund
Departement of Computer Science I
D-4600 Dortmund 50
West Germany
Tel: +231 755 4896

strubin@apple.com (Steven Rubin) (06/20/89)

In article <1429@laura.UUCP> ladage@unidocv..uucp (Lorenz Ladage) writes:
> I am looking for a layout editor which runs on a SUN3 oder SUN4
> workstation under SunOS Release 4.0, e.g. KIC or something like that.

Try the Electric VLSI Design System.  Runs on SUNs, Apollos, Macintosh,
X-window systems (DEC GPX, HP workstations, etc).  Does IC layout,
schematics, or whatever design environment you want.  Has DRC, simulation,
PLA generation, compaction, VHDL place and route, network comparison, and
much, much more.  Has associated textbook on VLSI CAD systems ("Computer Aids
for VLSI Design", by Steven M. Rubin, Addison-Wesley, 1987).  Sold
commercially at better CAD stores, and available CHEAP to universities ($400 and the usual nondisclosure license agreement).  Contact:
    Brian Gardiner
    Electric Editor, Incorporated
    1440 Koll Circle, Suite 110
    San Jose, California 95112
    (408) 356-5889

-Steven Rubin

ladage@unidocv..uucp (Lorenz Ladage) (06/26/89)

Thanks to Steven Rubin for his reply, but the Electric System isn't
quite that what I am looking for.
I need a layout editor for changing the geometric properties of
individual mask layers and I'd prefer a stand alone editor.

The editor should run on a SUN3 oder SUN4
workstation under SunOS Release 4.0.

It is only for internal use at the computer science department at
University of Dortmund.

Lorenz Ladage                              ladage%unidocv@unido.uucp
University of Dortmund
Department of Computer Science I
D-4600 Dortmund 50
West Germany
Tel: +231 755 4896

nettles@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Scott Nettles) (06/27/89)

In article <1439@laura.UUCP> ladage@unidocv.UUCP (Lorenz Ladage) writes:
>I need a layout editor for changing the geometric properties of
>individual mask layers and I'd prefer a stand alone editor.

I've had to deal with this sort of thing in the past, and I know Magic
(and I'd guess Electric, too) can do it.  The trick is to define a new
technology specification which treats each mask layer independently.
After that, you can just use the standard tools available in the system.

I'm not sure why you want it to be stand alone, with this approach you
get both good layout editors, and the ability to do things like resizing
and even design rule checks on the masks. I've certainly found such things
useful, even when hacking at the mask level.

Scott Nettles
Scott.Nettles@cs.cmu.edu