[comp.lsi.cad] VHDL - IEEE Standard

bsd@faline.bellcore.com (Bruce Davie) (07/19/89)

The IEEE recently adopted VHDL as a standard hardware description
language. Does anyone know how one gets hold of a document describing
the standard? Failing that could anyone point me towards some recent
VHDL articles in the technical literature? Any help would be much
appreciated.

Bruce Davie
Bell Communications Research

jxw@RODS.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (John Willis) (07/26/89)

In article <2289@faline.bellcore.com>, bsd@faline.bellcore.com (Bruce Davie) writes:
> The IEEE recently adopted VHDL as a standard hardware description
> language. Does anyone know how one gets hold of a document describing
> the standard? Failing that could anyone point me towards some recent
> VHDL articles in the technical literature? Any help would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Bruce Davie
> Bell Communications Research

The VHDL specification is available from IEEE as IEEE Std 1076-1987.  Contact
the IEEE publications office in NJ.  It is about 35.00$

The specification is rather dense reading.  I recommend:

* A new volume just out from Kluewer Academic (very extensive)

* "Chip Level Modeling with VHDL" by James R. Armstrong
	(Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-133190-6)

*  An Introduction to VHDL published by CAD Language Systems (CLSI)
	[Includes a terse differentiation of VHDL and EDIF]
	(phone 301 - 424 - 9445)

There was a survey article in Computer about 2-3 years ago, numerous
presentations at DAC '88 and DAC '89, and product-related articles in
trade magazines such as VLSI Design and Computer Design.

-John

bills@hpldola.HP.COM (Bill Schulze) (07/27/89)

An article in the May, 1989 issue of IEEE SPECTRUM entitled "VHDL links
design, test, and maintenance" provides a good overview of VHDL.  The
authors are Ronald Waxman - University of Virginia, Larry Saunders - IBM,
and Harold Carter - University of Cincinnati.  To quote information in the
"To probe further" section,

"The IEEE Standard VHDL Language Reference Manual, IEEE 1076-1987, can be
obtained for $40 from the IEEE Service Center, Box 1331, Piscataway, NJ
08855; 201-981-1393

Bill Schulze
HP Electronic Design Division