[comp.lsi.cad] OCT Problem

ran@cs.utah.edu (Ran Ginosar) (11/11/89)

I have been trying out the OCT Tools.
When I ran the following demo:

   #! /bin/csh -f

   echo 'running bdsyn (logic translation)'
   bdsyn -z pla.bds >pla.blif

   echo 'running misII (logic optimization)'
   misII -f script.msu -T oct  -o pla:logic pla.blif

   echo 'running wolfe (standard-cell place and route)'
   wolfe -o:symbolic pla:logic

   echo 'running vulcan (protection frame generator)'
   vulcan -k pla:symbolic

I got the following output:

   running bdsyn (logic translation)
   running misII (logic optimization)
   "pla.blif", line 52: node 'DONT_CARE' does not fanout
   running wolfe (standard-cell place and route)
   octCopyFacet: `pla:logic:interface:' doesn't exist
   Run aborted
   running vulcan (protection frame generator)
   vulcan: can't open cell ``pla:symbolic:contents:'' for reading:
   OctOpenFacet: `pla:symbolic:contents:' doesn't exist

misII generated only the logic:contents; facet. I assume it
should have generated the logic:interface; facet as well, but it
did not. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem ?
If misII does produce the interface facet, where is the source code
routine that creates this facet?

I got the same results no matter what input (bds) file I used.

Thanks in advance - Ran Ginosar.

--
	Dr. Ran Ginosar			ran@cs.utah.edu
	Computer Science Department

ricks@shambhala.Berkeley.EDU (Rick L Spickelmier) (11/11/89)

You've got an old version, probably Oct Tools 2.1.   The current
release is Oct Tools 3.4.  There was a bug in the Oct writer for
misII in 2.1 - it did not create the interface facet.  A work
around is to insert:

	vulcan -k pla:logic

after misII (and before wolfe).

If you want to get the latest version of the toolset, you can order
it from our ILP office (mail to 'cindy@janus.berkeley.edu' and ask
for information on Oct Tools 3.4) or you can ftp it from my machine.

			Rick Spickelmier
			Oct Tools Manager

To retrieve and build the Octtools 3.4 distribution:

Full Distribution:

	create a user named 'octtools'; the home directory for
	'octtools' must have approximately 80 Megabytes of free
	space.

	% cd ~octtools
	% ftp shambhala.berkeley.edu	(128.32.132.54)
	username: anonymous
	password: guest
	ftp> cd pub/octtools
	ftp> prompt
	ftp> binary			(very important)
	ftp> mget dist3-4.*
	ftp> quit
	% cat dist3-4.* | zcat | tar xf -
	% rm dist3-4.*
	% more CHANGES
	% more README			(very important)
	% INSTALL

There are 18 files in dist3-4.*, (dist3-4.00 to dist3-4.16) each
1000000 bytes, with the exception of dist3-4.17 which is 610703 bytes.

paul@cronus.m2c.org (Paul Cohen) (11/11/89)

In article <RAN.89Nov10101308@tingeys.cs.utah.edu>, ran@cs.utah.edu (Ran
Ginosar) writes:
> I have been trying out the OCT Tools.
>    running wolfe (standard-cell place and route)
>    octCopyFacet: `pla:logic:interface:' doesn't exist
>    Run aborted
>    running vulcan (protection frame generator)
>    vulcan: can't open cell ``pla:symbolic:contents:'' for reading:
>    OctOpenFacet: `pla:symbolic:contents:' doesn't exist
>

> misII generated only the logic:contents; facet. I assume it
> should have generated the logic:interface; facet as well, but it
> did not. Does anyone know what could be causing the problem ?

Sound like you have an old version of the tools. MisII has been
updated so it creates the interface facet.

In the interim, you can add the step:

vulcan -k pla:logic

just after misII.

Paul B. Cohen