[comp.lsi.cad] CIF and octtools

naumann@acsu.buffalo.edu (dirk naumann) (08/30/90)

Hi netters,

Can anybody of you tell me how to get from a chip-description in
oct-format to CIF-format and vice versa.
Any hint appreciated.

Dirk

--

Dirk Naumann, SUNY at Buffalo
< naumann@acsu.buffalo.edu >

paul@cronus.m2c.org (Paul Cohen) (08/30/90)

In article <34183@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, naumann@acsu.buffalo.edu
(dirk naumann) writes:
> Can anybody of you tell me how to get from a chip-description in
> oct-format to CIF-format and vice versa.

The programs octtocif and ciftooct, included with the octtools release,
will accomplish the translation.

Since the Octtools use "Oct units" as a basic unit of measurement, and
CIF files use centimicrons, you generally need to scale your design as
you convert to or from CIF. In addition, if I can assume that you
intend to read or write MOSIS compatible CIF files, you will find that
the layer names used in the CIF file and the Oct tools are not
identical. For example, first metal is called CMF in a MOSIS CIF file,
but MET1 in the Oct tools.

Both ciftooct and octtocif can read a control file which can take care
of scaling the layout and renaming, merging, or generating layers as
needed.

To convert from Oct to CIF:

octtocif -f script_name -o file.cif cell:view

Assuming you have Octtools release 3.5, and you are trying to write
MOSIS compatible CIF for an Nwell process, then "script_name" should
be scmos/octmm-scipts/msu2nwell.keep. Use msu2pwell.keep for a Pwell
process. Both of these scripts take care of scaling the design for a 2
micron process, generate layers CSN and CSP, rename those layes that
need to be renamed and merge those layers that need to be merged.  If
you're interested, I can fill you in on the details. The scripts
aren't perfect, but they do work. (Updates are coming in the next
Octtools release.)

To convert from an MOSIS compatible CIF file for an Nwell process,

ciftooct -f scmos/octmm-scripts/nwell2oct cell:view

will do the trick.

Note that there are other scripts and command line options. See the
Oct documentation for more details.

Octtools release 4.0 (available soon) will include a new program,
fabprep, which will convert a design from an Oct database to a MOSIS
compatible CIF file. Also, msu2nwell.keep will become msu2nwell,
msu2pwell.keep will become msu2pwell, and msu2twinwell will be added.

If the above mentioned scripts don't do what you want, then see the
octtocif, ciftooct, and octmm manuals for information on how to create
your own scripts.

Paul B. Cohen
Massachusetts Microelectronics Center
(508) 870-0312  x 244