[comp.lsi.cad] new newsgroup for the VHDLs, Now: VHDL

dettmer@jupiter.uucp (Thomas Dettmer) (11/30/90)

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

>at a time when a call for the votes for the VHDL is being called, it's
>just a matter of time a newsgroup for the other VHDL-users will be called;
>(er.... 2 of them exist in the market; same name different companies); to
>avoid ambiguities in the future, please differentiate the vhdl my their
>company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
>Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called
>for; also in future all headings need to mention which VHDL is being
>discussed;

Sorry for wasting your time, but:
I think it is easy to see in the call for votes that it isn't about any
companies product, it is about the Language defined by the IEEE Standard
1076/87 (but that would not be a good name for a group I think) and any tool
and book and other topic related with this Standard. Please
note, that there is no company which owns an ieee standard - and that there
are a lot of VHDL(IEEE) related products from various vendors on the market
today (synthesis, simulation, editors and others). As far as I know
Intermetrics AND Cadence offer tools on VHDL -beside others. (The votes I
got until today proove, that I'm right: they come from all over the world
-europe, australia, asia, america and even the soviet union. And of course,
different companies/institutiones).

It's not made explicit in the header, thats right, maybe I should use
VHDL(IEEE) in mail/post headers. I'll think about this. In the CFV the idea
was, that if you don't say anything else you're talking about the standard.

I assume your most important point is that you do not want a seperate group
for each company -and each product- and I surly agree with that. But
VHDL(IEEE) is a language as C, C++, Simula and others - no private property
of anyone. And there are a lot of good reasons to install a group for such a
language, in the same way there are groups on the before mentioned
languages. And they are used very frequently!

The call for vote is still running. Join us and send your YES vote.
(Did you? :-) )
Tom.
email: dettmer@saturn.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825                FAX: +49-231 755 2386
snail mail: Thomas Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I
       Post Box 50 05 00, W-4600 Dortmund 50, Federal Republic of Germany