[comp.lsi.cad] new newsgroup for the VHDLs

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (11/29/90)

at a time when a call for the votes for the VHDL is being called, it's
just a matter of time a newsgroup for the other VHDL-users will be called;
(er.... 2 of them exist in the market; same name different companies); to
avoid ambiguities in the future, please differentiate the vhdl my their
company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called
for; also in future all headings need to mention which VHDL is being
discussed;

-savel
Bharat P. Savel
EE Dept.                                       e-mail : savel@engde001.unl.edu
Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln                           Ph : (402) 477-9857

tom@srl.mew.mei.co.jp (Tom Borgstrom) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.225223.12307@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

   at a time when a call for the votes for the VHDL is being called, it's
   just a matter of time a newsgroup for the other VHDL-users will be called;
   (er.... 2 of them exist in the market; same name different companies); to
   avoid ambiguities in the future, please differentiate the vhdl my their
   company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
   Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called
   for; also in future all headings need to mention which VHDL is being
   discussed;

The newsgroup in question is for discussions related to IEEE Standard 1076
VHDL (VHSIC Hardware Description Language). The other popular HDL,
originally from Cadence, is called Verilog. I think it is a better to
follow common usage and refer to IEEE-1076 as "VHDL" and the other language
simply as "Verilog".

--tom
--
Thomas H. Borgstrom                         tom@mew.mei.co.jp
Semiconductor Research Lab                  telephone: +81 6-908-1431

keith@mips.COM (Keith Garrett) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.225223.12307@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

>at a time when a call for the votes for the VHDL is being called, it's
>just a matter of time a newsgroup for the other VHDL-users will be called;
>(er.... 2 of them exist in the market; same name different companies); to
>avoid ambiguities in the future, please differentiate the vhdl my their
>company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
>Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called
>for; also in future all headings need to mention which VHDL is being
>discussed;

how about vhdl for the DARPA VHSIC language and vehdl for cadence verilog?
--
Keith Garrett        "This is *MY* opinion, OBVIOUSLY"
      Mips Computer Systems, 930 Arques Ave, Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

ejmag@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Eric J. Magnusson) (12/01/90)

In article <43655@mips.mips.COM> keith@mips.COM (Keith Garrett) writes:
>In article <1990Nov28.225223.12307@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>>
>>at a time when a call for the votes for the VHDL is being called, it's
>>just a matter of time a newsgroup for the other VHDL-users will be called;
>>(er.... 2 of them exist in the market; same name different companies); to
>>avoid ambiguities in the future, please differentiate the vhdl my their
>>company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
>>Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called
>>for; also in future all headings need to mention which VHDL is being
>>discussed;
>
>how about vhdl for the DARPA VHSIC language and vehdl for cadence verilog?
>--

Let's not be too exclusive.  I've read that Cadence will be supporting
1076 VHDL soon.  What about Vantage VHDL, ZyCad VHDL (now Synopsys VHDL).
There is also GenRad HDL (GHDL), which isn't compatible with anything.
If Mr. Savel gets his way, maybe we can have the following newsgroups(s):
comp.lang.vhdl.intermetrics
comp.lang.vhdl.cadence.verilog
comp.lang.vhdl.cadence.vhdl
comp.lang.vhdl.darpa
comp.lang.vhdl.vantage
comp.lang.vhdl.zycad
comp.lang.vhdl.synopsys
comp.lang.ghdl.genrad
comp.lang.vhdl.turbovhdl
comp.lang.vhdl.quickvhdl
comp.lang.vhdl.joes_bar_&_grill_vhdl
comp.lang.vhdl.vhdl123
comp.lang.vhdl.VhdlPerfect
 and last but hopefully not least
comp.lang.vhdl.DoD
comp.lang.vhdl.ieee1076

I hope I haven't left anybody out. If so, I'd be glad to add to the
list! :-)

-Eric Magnusson
ejmag@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu

baeder@shamu.cadence.com (D. Scott Baeder; x6299) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Nov28.225223.12307@hoss.unl.edu>, savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

|> company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
|> Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called

While I guess you could contract down VERILOG HDL to VHDL, that isn't
the point.  VHDL is the goverment sponsered effort, and verilog is
verilog.

Scott

#include <std/disclaimer>

ejmag@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Eric J. Magnusson) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.201808.6809@cadence.com> baeder@cadence.com writes:
>In article <1990Nov28.225223.12307@hoss.unl.edu>, savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>
>|> company name; like comp.lang.vhdl(I) for the Intermetrics and (C) for
>|> Cadence; took me a minute to find out which newsgroup was being called
>
>While I guess you could contract down VERILOG HDL to VHDL, that isn't
>the point.  VHDL is the goverment sponsered effort, and verilog is verilog.

Last I heard, VHDL is international (IEEE 1076), and Verilog is
public domain.

Eric