[comp.lsi.cad] Lossy transmission lines / QUAD ?

jaijeet@ic.Berkeley.EDU (01/22/91)

	Has anyone heard of any circuit simulators (either commercially
available or experimental) that simulate lossy transmission lines?
In particular, I am told that there is a product or company called
QUAD that does lossy line simulation. Does anyone know anything about
this?

	Please email or post.

	Thanks.

	Jaijeet Roychowdhury
	(jaijeet@ic.berkeley.edu)

jkubicky@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph J. Kubicky) (01/22/91)

jaijeet@ic.Berkeley.EDU writes:

>	Has anyone heard of any circuit simulators (either commercially
>available or experimental) that simulate lossy transmission lines?
>In particular, I am told that there is a product or company called
>QUAD that does lossy line simulation. Does anyone know anything about
>this?

Here at Caltech, Prof. Rutledge et. al. have developed some neat E&M
analysis software (IBM-PC) that I think is just what you want.  Just
the little bit I'm aware of allows you to analyze transmission lines
with both distributed and lumped impedances and generates Smith charts
and transfer function plots.  I imagine they'd let you have a copy.

					Jay Kubicky
					jkubicky@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (01/22/91)

In article <10377@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jaijeet@ic.Berkeley.EDU writes:

  >	Has anyone heard of any circuit simulators (either commercially
  >available or experimental) that simulate lossy transmission lines?
  >In particular, I am told that there is a product or company called
  >QUAD that does lossy line simulation.

Their product is called "XNS", a crosstalk network simulator.  They
also sell "MOTIVE", a static timing verifyer.  In addition to
the network simulator, XNS also includes an electromagnetic field
solver: you input physical geometry and it computes capacitance per
unit length, inductance, characteristic impedance, forward and
backward crosstalk coupling coefficients.

Quad Design Technology
Camarillo, California, USA
(805) 988-8250

I don't actually know whether they support lossy lines or not.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (01/23/91)

In comp.lsi.cad, jaijeet@ic.Berkeley.EDU writes:

> 	Has anyone heard of any circuit simulators (either commercially
> available or experimental) that simulate lossy transmission lines?
> In particular, I am told that there is a product or company called
> QUAD that does lossy line simulation. Does anyone know anything about
> this?

     There is UCB's Spectre 1a1 (previously called Harmonica), a
steady-state frequency-domain nonlinear simulator that can handle lossy
(& lossless) transmission lines, including microstrip lines.  It's
available from the UCB EECS/ERL.  As you're posting from Berkeley, you
should probably check it out.

     Hewlett-Packard also sells a greatly-enhanced version of Spectre as
part of it's Microwave Design System (for HP's, Sun's, Apollo's, &
386's).  If anyone wants more information, send email.

     EESof sells Touchstone (linear only) and Harmonica (linear &
nonlinear), two simulators that can handle lossy transmission lines.

     Super Compact also sells a simulator that can handle lossy
transmission lines (I think).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (01/23/91)

In article <10377@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jaijeet@ic.Berkeley.EDU () writes:

  >In particular, I am told that there is a product or company called
  >QUAD that does lossy line simulation. Does anyone know anything about
  >this?

Quad Design Technology
1385 Del Norte Road
Camarillo, CA   93010
(805) 988 8250

Their product is called XNS (crosstalk network simulator).  Dunno if
it does lossy lines, do know that it does N-way mutually coupled lines.