[comp.lsi.cad] future bus, transmission line, simulation

twilson@friar.gandalf.ca (tom wilson) (03/11/91)

-Looking for information regarding computer simulation application
software for modeling and analyzing microstrip lines, by using transmission
line techniques.

-Has anyone used any application programs for this purpose, specifically
Spice or Pspice? If so, could you please send information on models
used, parameters specified, flexibility of package, predictability
reliability of results, etc. Copies of models used and results would be useful.

-We are attempting to simulate a high-speed, Futurbus-type backplane,
and for this reason need a model that would accurately characterize the
backplane in terms of loaded/unloaded impedance and crosstalk. We would
like to be able to specify the physical parameters of the lines (ie.
width, spacing, dielectric, height), and line loading (in terms of distributed
or lumped capacitances, inductance, driver/receiver characteristics.)

Any information available on models, packages or experience in this area
would be appreciated.

--
Tom Wilson, twilson@gandalf.ca, Gandalf Data Ltd, Ottawa Canada, (613) 723-6500

mark@mips.com (Mark G. Johnson) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.152746.19730@hobbit.gandalf.ca> twilson@friar.gandalf.ca (tom wilson) writes:

   >Looking for information regarding computer simulation application
   >software for modeling and analyzing microstrip lines, by using
   >transmission
   >line techniques.

Richard A. Quinnell, "CAE Tools Help Cure Transmission-Line Woes",
EDN Magazine, March 1, 1991, pp. 47-52.

Discusses the problems and lists 13 commercial products for
that aim to help.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

darrylo@hpnmdla.hp.com (Darryl Okahata) (03/13/91)

In comp.lsi.cad, twilson@friar.gandalf.ca (tom wilson) writes:

> -Looking for information regarding computer simulation application
> software for modeling and analyzing microstrip lines, by using transmission
> line techniques.

     UC Berkeley's "Spectre" circuit-analysis program is a
frequency-domain nonlinear steady-state simulator, and can supposedly
handle simple transmission lines.  You give it a fundamental and some
harmonics, and it calculates the frequency spectrum at each node/branch
(it can even handle nonlinear devices, such as transistors).  If you
want to see the time domain response, you simply do an inverse FFT on
the output spectrum.

     I'm not sure if Spectre can handle more than one fundamental
frequency w/associated harmonics, but I think it can.  I'm also not sure
if it has a coupled transmission-line model.

     Also, there are commercially available frequency-domain simulators,
ones which are "better" than Spectre, though no where near as cheap.  If
you want a list, send Email.

> -We are attempting to simulate a high-speed, Futurbus-type backplane,
> and for this reason need a model that would accurately characterize
> the backplane in terms of loaded/unloaded impedance and crosstalk. We
> would like to be able to specify the physical parameters of the lines
> (ie.  width, spacing, dielectric, height), and line loading (in terms
> of distributed or lumped capacitances, inductance, driver/receiver
> characteristics.)

     I'm also not sure if any of the commercially-available simulators
can handle simulating a backplane (at least, the ones that I've heard
about).  The problem is that they don't have a N-coupled line model.
You be able to fake something using a bunch of coupled line models
(2-line), but I have no idea what kind of results you'd get.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@relay.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.