[comp.lsi.cad] VLSI EXPERT PLEASE READ

may@cs.mcgill.ca (Jing WU) (03/21/91)

DEAR Netter:
   I am a fan of VLSI design, but I know very little, I took a course,
but nothing was told about how to manufacture those chips.
   I desperately need information about:

   1) Is there a CAD simulation software on IBM PC 386 like Cadence?
by which I
could design some chips at home.???? How much does it cost ?

   2) After design, Is there any place that I could manufacture them
easily, What equipment I needs to manufacture, 10um -0.5 um, what is the
difference of these equipment. I need address and name of equipment, if
there are some explanation and estimated cost, I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance for you to let me know something.

sondeen@isi.edu (Jeff Sondeen) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.034426.865@cs.mcgill.ca> may@cs.mcgill.ca (Jing WU) writes:
>   1) Is there a CAD simulation software on IBM PC 386 like Cadence?
>by which I
>could design some chips at home.???? How much does it cost ?

IBM-PC Tools for layout editing (and even place and route of standard
cells):

L-edit
Tanner Research
818-795-1696
444 N. Altadena Dr.
Pasadena, Ca 91107

IC-editors
Donald Brandshaft
408-971-2422
POBox 5938
San Jose, Ca. 95150

Prices are in the $1000 - $2000 range for full configurations, but
there are university discounts.  People here at MOSIS use both these
tools; there are lots of others, too!

>   2) After design, Is there any place that I could manufacture them
>easily, What equipment I needs to manufacture, 10um -0.5 um, what is the
>difference of these equipment. I need address and name of equipment, if
>there are some explanation and estimated cost, I would appreciate.

MOSIS accepts designs from users in Canada as well as the US, for
prototyping IC's.  Prices are around $500 for 4 (untested) packaged
parts in 2-micron CMOS (which means the transistor gates have a
minimum length of 2 microns), of so-called "tiny-chip" size (2220
microns by 2220 microns).

To obtain further info, send the following text in the body of an
e-mail message to mosis@mosis.edu:

request: information
request: end

You'll get a list of topics for which you can request further info.

--

/jeff	sondeen@isi.edu				"engineers were discouraged
		from bringing problems to the attention of their supervisors"