[comp.lsi.cad] Spice 3d2 bug fixes

christos@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Christos S. Zoulas) (06/17/91)

Hello,

After a 10 hour marathon, I managed to compile spice 3d2 on the apollos
running Domain/OS 10.3.4. The major problem was that spice includes <math.h>
many times and Domain/OS does not protect it. All the rest of the problems
were valid bugs that were caught by the compiler.

One of the most important bugs was in the BSIM1 model, where the routine
DFnF12() was called with 6 fewer parameters than needed! (in BSIM1disto.c)

Other bug fixes include:

o	X11 R3/R4 portability [and x fixes]
o	Incorrect ANSI prototype fixes.
o	Incorrect declarations of the form *name[SIZE] when name[SIZE] is
	needed. (name was used as a buffer in sprintf() calls!)
o	Other parser related bugs. type edit` and see spice core-dump.

All the patches can be found on tesla.ee.cornell.edu:/pub/cad/spice3d2.patch.Z

christos
--
Christos Zoulas         | 389 Theory Center, Electrical Engineering,
christos@ee.cornell.edu | Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853.

ruck@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John Ruckstuhl) (06/17/91)

christos@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Christos S. Zoulas) writes:
>After a 10 hour marathon, I managed to compile spice 3d2 on the apollos

FYI, 3d2 is not the most recently released version.
A few weeks ago, a SPICE maintainer wrote me that 3e2 was available, so
I asked the SW distribution person for it.
Unfortunately, they sent me 3e1.  :(

Would someone please provide diffs (in patch-readable form) between
    3d2 and 3e2
and
    3e1 and 3e2

I realize there are restrictions on the distribution of the source-code,
but I'm hoping that providing diffs to the general public, or at least
to bona-fide licensed user like myself, is allowable.

Or, if you have 3e2, and I can prove that I am licensed, would you be
kind enough to let me ftp it?

Or, is there a still newer release that I don't know about.

Best Regards,
ruck.
--
John R Ruckstuhl, Jr			ruck@alpha.ee.ufl.edu
Dept of Electrical Engineering		ruck@cis.ufl.edu, uflorida!ruck

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (06/17/91)

In article <29217@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> ruck@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John Ruckstuhl) writes:
   Would someone please provide diffs (in patch-readable form) between
       3d2 and 3e2
   and
       3e1 and 3e2

   I realize there are restrictions on the distribution of the source-code,
   but I'm hoping that providing diffs to the general public, or at least
   to bona-fide licensed user like myself, is allowable.

As much as I hate it, I'd like to add a "me too" to this request.

Perhaps it's time to start a Spice-maintainers mailing list like the
lists that exist for other CAD tools?

-rich
--
Rich Kaul                         | "Do not do unto others as you would
kaul@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu        | that they should do unto you.  Their

rknight@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk (Roger Knight (B21)) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun17.001415.23791@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> christos@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Christos S. Zoulas) writes:

>After a 10 hour marathon, I managed to compile spice 3d2 on the apollos
>running Domain/OS 10.3.4. The major problem was that spice includes <math.h>
>[stuff deleted]
>All the patches can be found on tesla.ee.cornell.edu:/pub/cad/spice3d2.patch.Z

I have a nice, shiny new tape from UCB with SPICE3d2 on it which I am
about to try loading on my Mentor SR10.3 network. Is the above patch
available anywhere in the UK?

Thanks in advance,
-Roger Knight <rknight@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk>
VLSI CAD Administrator