advertise this fact quite widely before g/ws are set up in an uncoordinated
way.

==================

Delivery-date: Tuesday, August 2, 1988 at 11:36 GMT+0200
Originator: NORRY@JPNTSCVM.BITNET
Send-date: Tuesday, August 2, 1988 at 11:36 GMT+0200
From:<NORRY@JPNTSCVM.BITNET>
To:Denise Heagerty <DENISE@PRIAM.cern>
Message-ID:inbox:55
Subject:X.400 gateway

 This is Norry Shimizu, the researcher of IBM Japan.
 We are planning to make the GATEWAY, BITNET and Japanese Academic
Netwok.  This Network is based on X.400 and including Kanji characters
(Double Byte Character Sets) in Address and the Body.

  I found your name from Mr. Hannes Lubich as attached.
  If you are a right person of this inquiry, please let me know follows.

1. Can I get any informations about your X.400 gateway ?
2. How is the address mapping between X.400 and BITNET ?
   If you, X.400 user, want to send the mail to me, NORRY at JPNTSCVM,
  how do you specify the recipient and originator fields ?
   How do I fill my TO: field from BITNET to X.400 ?
3. Which services has this gateway ?
4. Can I get the USERS GUIDE of your gateway ?
5. Can I get the Specification of the gateway system ?
6. Other informations....

Thanks advance,
Norry Shimizu

BITNET: NORRY at JPNTSCVM
Post Mail:   Tokyo Scientific Center
             IBM Japan
             5-19 Sanbancho, Chiyoda,
             Tokyo 102, Japan.

==================

Delivery-date: Monday, August 8, 1988 at 11:52 GMT+0200
From:Denise Heagerty <denise@priam.cern>
To: <NORRY@JPNTSCVM.BITNET>
In-Reply-To:inbox:55
Message-ID:inbox:81

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have received your message from at least
2 sources, but have been too busy to reply until now. The X.400 g/w s/w
we are using is part of EAN from UBC, Canada (contact John Demco:
<demco@ean.ubc.ca>). However this g/w converts only between the EAN encoding
of RFC 822 in Domain Defined attributes. There is no conversion between
Standard O/R Name attributes and RFC 822 addresses. Such a conversion
is defined by RFC 987 which makes use of a mapping table between RFC 822
addresses and X.400 standard attributes. Within Europe these mappings
are being coordinated by the RARE (Association of European Research Networks)
MHS Project (contact: Alf Hansen <alf-hansen@vax.runit.unit.uninett>). This
project is also collecting information about implementations of RFC 987.
Since it is essential that EVERY RFC 987 g/w uses identical mappings it
is important that you get in touch with Alf Hansen so that some coordination
can be arranged. I will forward your message to the people invoved with the
RARE MHS Project who are better placed to answer your questions.

Regards,
Denise Heagerty,
Electronic Mail Coordinator,
Post: DD Division, CERN, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland.
Tel:  +41 (022) 83 49 75       Telex:  419000 CER CH
EAN:  denise@priam.cern        UUCP:   cernvax!denise
EARN: denise@cernvax           DECnet: vxcern::denise
ARPA: denise%priam.cern@cwi.nl JANET:  denise%cern.priam@uk.ac.ean-relay