[comp.protocols.iso.x400.gateway] forbidden characters in body of message

kerkhoff@exp.bessy.dbp.de (Hans-Georg Kerkhoff BESSY-Berlin phone +49 82004-153, 30) (09/08/88)

Excuse me if this is a silly question.

When a message from BITnet is received by DFN-EAN-V2 (German X.400
approach) a (|) in the body of a message is replaced by an (!).
Allthough this is no big problem when transmitting C programs
because the (!) can easily be replaced by checking the compilation
errors, it leads to unsolvable problems when VAX-VMS-DCL routines
are transmitted because the (!) indicates a comment and therefor
is widely used.

Is it an unknown rule not to use an (|) character in the body of a
message text, or is this a common BITnet feature not to use the (|)
character because this character can not be displayed by EBCDIC?

Or is this a problem of some gateway  ?

Until now I believed that the body of a message is untouched or at
least if it is converted to another representation it will convert
back to its original representation.

...Hans
Berliner Elektronenspeicherring-Gesellschaft         phone     +49 (30) 82004-0
fuer Synchrotronstrahlung m.b.H.                     Sekr.     x106
Lentzeallee 100                                      Fax       x103
1000 Berlin 33                                       Tx        186 325 bessy d

netinfo@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (Postmaster & BITINFO) (09/09/88)

	From: Hans-Georg Kerkhoff BESSY-Berlin phone +49 (30)82004-153
		<kerkhoff%exp.bessy.dbp.de@relay.cs.net>
	To: ifip-gtwy@tis.llnl.gov
	Cc: reichenbach%exp.bessy.dbp.de@relay.cs.net
	Subject: forbidden characters in body of message

	Excuse me if this is a silly question.

	When a message from BITnet is received by DFN-EAN-V2 (German
	X.400 approach) a (|) in the body of a message is replaced by
	an (!). ...

The problem is most likely a CDC node on the BITNET/EARN. See message
from SBSWKAC@CSUGOLD.BITNET below.

Bill Wells

| William Wells      Telephone: COML: +1 415-642-9801, ATSS: 582-9801  |
| Data Communication & Network Services  postmaster@jade.berkeley.edu  |
| University of California at Berkeley   netinfo@garnet.berkeley.edu   |
| 269 Evans Hall         NETINFO at UCBGARNE (BITNET NJE/RSCS PUN/PRT) |
| Berkeley, CA 94720    NETINFO%GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU@EARN-RELAY (Janet) |

From: SBSWKAC@CSUGOLD.BITNET
To: bitinfo@ucbjade
Date: Mon Dec 23 08:34:46 1985
Subject: SEND OUTPUT

To: Bill Wells BITINFO @ UCBJADE
From: Richard A. Jones
      University of Colorado at Boulder
      SBSWKAC @ CSUGOLD

     Thanks for the copy of the reply to Mark Walker at Wyoming
I will tell him what I am telling you:

     The CDC NJEF product has the following translations (which I
consider to be wrong):

     Outgoing, an exclamation point is mapped into an EBCDID 4F, a
vertical bar.  A vertical bar is mapped into a FA (long thin vertical
bar), and is lost at most ASCII sites.

     Incoming, an EBCDIC 4F (vertical bar) is mapped into an exclamation,
a 5A (exclamation point) and BD (right bracket) are both mapped into
a right bracket.

     Thus, there is no way to get an exclamation point into BITNET from
the Cyber.

     I have reported all this to the CDC fellow at CSU who handles NJEF,
and he "is looking into it."

     Thanks for your help in assisting me collecting enough information to
pin down what was happeding and where--and pin it on CDC.