[comp.protocols.iso.x400.gateway] RFC987 clarification

steve@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Steve Kille) (11/26/88)

Hi - lets try to comment on this

 >From:  NANCY GREENE <greene@ch.epfl.elde2>
 >To:    steve@uk.ac.ucl.cs
 >Subject: RFC987 clarification
 >Date:  Fri, 18 Nov 88 12:09:16 N

 >Dear Steve,
 >
 >At the EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne), we are implementing
 >an RFC987 gateway. We have come across a couple of questions on the
 >handling of autoforwarded messages, and I would like to take the liberty
 >of asking your opinion.
 >
 >Page 55 of RFC987 describes the mapping between P2.Heading.autoforwarded
 >and the RFC822 fields. It says that Autoforward- is to be prepended to
 >each RFC822 fieldname. I assume this means that something like the
 >following would be generated:
 >
 >Autoforwarded-From: greene@elde.epfl.ch           <-- this part is from the
 >Autoforwarded-To: buclin@elma.epfl.ch             P2.IPMessage Heading
 >Autoforwarded-Autoforwarded: TRUE
 >.
 >.
 >.
 >From: greene@elde.epfl.ch                          <-- this part is from
 >To: buclin@elde.epfl.ch                            the P2.ForwardedIPMessage
 >
 >My questions are:
 >1. Is the line "Autoforwarded-Autoforwarded: TRUE" correct?

 Correct, although a bit odd!

 >2. What happens if the P2.ForwardedIPMessage also has P2.Heading.autoforwarded
 >set to TRUE? Would the RFC987 gateway generate the following?:
 >
 >Autoforwarded-Autoforwarded-From: ...
 >Autoforwarded-Autoforwarded-To: ...
 >Autoforwarded-Autoforwarded-Autoforwarede: TRUE
 >.
 >.
 >.
 >Autoforwarded-From: ...
 >Autoforwarded-To: ...
 >Autoforwarded-Autoforwarded: TRUE
 >.
 >.
 >.
 >From: ...
 >To: ...
 >Autoforwarded: FALSE

 Yup!!

 >3. Does Autoforwarded- get prepended before P1-generated RFC822 field names
 >as well as P2-generated RFC822 fieldnames?

 Yes

 >I hope this is clear.
 >Thanks for your time,
 >
 >Nancy Greene,
 >Assistant at the EPFL, Switzerland
 >
 >greene@elde.epfl.ch

I'm glad to see that you are taking troupble to implement ALL of the spec!
(Most implementations claiming 987 conformance omit a good deal).  I'd be
interested on any user feedback you get wrt this feature.

Steve