[comp.protocols.iso.x400.gateway] Free SMTP/RFC822 -> X.400 gateway ?

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (08/27/90)

Are there any free SMTP-to-X400 gateway implementations available yet?
I know ISODE is supposed to have one in the future, but it's not there
yet. Is there anything that could be run, say on top of the ISODE stack?

Thanks,

Timo Lehtinen

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland

cew%isi.edu@usc.edu ("Craig E. Ward") (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug26.221648.5340@sti.fi> ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) writes:
>Are there any free SMTP-to-X400 gateway implementations available yet?
>I know ISODE is supposed to have one in the future, but it's not there
>yet. Is there anything that could be run, say on top of the ISODE stack?

Depends on what you mean by free.

Sprint.COM is a gateway from the Internet into the Telemail Administrative
Domain (ADMD).  Sending into the Telemail ADMD is free to Internet users.
(Telemail ADMD users get charged for outgoing mail.)  While no technical
issues prevent Sprint.COM from sending to non-Telemail ADMDs (e.g.
BellSouth), accounting and billing issues do.

The Commercial Mail Relay (CMR) has some rudimentary functions (i.e. they
don't work for all cases) for handeling the SprintMail implementation of
X.400 and has no restrictions on X.400 ADMDs.  (Questions about the CMR
should be sent to Intermail-Request@ISI.EDU.)

If you were asking about getting the software itself, then the answer is
probably no.  Sprint is unlikely to want to give anything away and USC
doesn't want to go through the red tape of getting an export license.
--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute