[rec.games.programmer] Legal aspects of Computer version of the game RISK

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (08/17/88)

In article <3309@crash.cts.com> andym@crash.CTS.COM (Andy Micone) writes:
> A computer game version of a copyrighted board game is a derivative work,
> and you cannot produce and distribute a computer game version of RISK
> without risking legal action against you. By having a copyright, Parker
> Brothers has exclusive rights to all derivative works of the board game.
> This means they are the sole party who has the rights to authorize RISK
> the computer game, RISK the novel, RISK the movie, RISK the lunchbox, etc.
> They can sell any portion of these rights as they choose, but they retain
> all rights to any form of derivative work that might come from their
> games.

> If you were to make a version of RISK for the computer and release it into
> the public domain you still risk severe civil damages. Even though you might
> not make any money off the game, you never had the right to release
> the computer game rights for RISK into the public domain (only parker
> borthers has that right). In this case the copyright law authorizes that
> you can be liable for up to $20,000 statuatory damages, and that you can
> still be liable for other damages if they can prove they have lost money
> due to the fact you put out a game in the public domain that effectively
> blocked their efforts to put a game out into the market. The legal fees
> to you go without saying.

Sorry for so much included text, but I had wondered about this when the
computer version of Yahtzee was posted to comp.sources.games a while
back.  It would seem to me that the author (and distributor?) of that
game would be in the same boat as the hypothetical RISK computer-gamer
mentioned above.  True?

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

--
Greg Paris                     <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
 {decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp