[rec.games.programmer] NEW Multiplayer Mac game.

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (06/05/89)

Ok...a bunch of people wrote me in reference to my earlier posting on my
"MazeWars-like" multiplayer Macintosh.  Because of this show of interest I
decided to post some more info.

The game I've written is called "A-Maze-ing" and went live on the GEnie
on-line service as of June 1 (GEnie is a CIS-like service, for those of you
who haven't heard of it).  The game involves multiplayer combat in a fully
three dimensional maze environment.  As many as 30 players can be in the
maze at one time playing against eachother.

The maze is presented in a full 3-d space filling view, and is very "open",
that is, there are hallways and rooms that are quite large and you can see
a ways in all directions.  You see the whole thing from the point of view of
someone standing in the maze.  Everything moves at a very fast pace, it is
possible to walk through the maze almost as fast as you can press the
movement keys on your keyboard.

The game includes digitized sounds and will run on any Mac as long as it has
at least 512K of RAM.  The game will also run under the Atari ST "Spectre 128"
Mac emulation (and probably on the Amiga "AMAX" too, but we haven't been
able to test it yet).

To play, you need the game software and a subscription to the GEnie on-line
service.  If there is sufficient interest I will post a copy of the game
software so people can take a look at it.  The game has a "practice" mode
that lets you get an idea of what the maze looks like.  GEnie is available
anywhere in the US, Canada and Japan (and possiblly a few other places).

Once you get on GEnie, just type "A-Maze-ing" to get to the game area.

If you would like to have me post a copy of the game to Usenet, write me and
tell me.  If there is sufficient interest I will be happy to post it (I didn't
want to just go ahead and send it, cause it's about a 100K file).

Also, if anyone wants info on how to subscribe to GEnie, let me know, if
enough people want to know, I'll post info on that too.

Hope to be hearing from you!

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP (Deepak Seth) (06/07/89)

Greg!

This game sounds interesting and exciting.  I would like to get a copy of it.

If you can, please post it to sumex or send it to my e-mail address.

Thanks,
Deepak Seth
Microsoft Corp.

internet:  deepaks@coil.cs.orst.edu
UUCP:      t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (06/07/89)

Because I've had a LOT of mail requests for me to post my new Multiplayer
Maze game, I will be doing it in just a few more days.  I need a little time
to make some changes to the "about" screens to make them a little more
clear.

One thing that many people have asked...here's the answer:

You CAN NOT play this game over Appletalk...it's multiplayer mode will only
work if you are connected to GEnie.  The game does have a "practice" mode
where you can walk around the maze and see what it looks like, but NO
opponents or goodies to pick up will appear.  You MUST be on GEnie to really
"play" the game.

Sorry to pound on this, but I want to make sure I'm not giving anyone a
false impression about what the game will do.

A lot of people also requested information on how to subscribe to GEnie, so
I will post that info soon also.  GEnie is a pretty good service to have if
you own a Mac...they have all the latest Apple software on-line for
downloading (ie: system, finder...etc) and their rates are less than
compuserve.  Also, they support Xmodem and Ymodem...and the throughput
of their Xmodem implimentation is much higher than most systems I've used.

I should have the game (and info on how to subscribe to GEnie) posted by
then end of the week if all goes well.

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (06/08/89)

In article <1436@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath (Greg Corson) writes:
>Because I've had a LOT of mail requests for me to post my new Multiplayer
>Maze game, I will be doing it in just a few more days.  I need a little time
>to make some changes to the "about" screens to make them a little more
>clear.
>
>One thing that many people have asked...here's the answer:
>
>You CAN NOT play this game over Appletalk...it's multiplayer mode will only
>work if you are connected to GEnie.  The game does have a "practice" mode
>where you can walk around the maze and see what it looks like, but NO
>opponents or goodies to pick up will appear.  You MUST be on GEnie to really
>"play" the game.
>
>Sorry to pound on this, but I want to make sure I'm not giving anyone a
>false impression about what the game will do.

Indeed you gave a false impression... If it is not possible to play it
over appletalk or modem line, it is of less interest.

>A lot of people also requested information on how to subscribe to GEnie, so
>I will post that info soon also.  GEnie is a pretty good service to have if
>you own a Mac...they have all the latest Apple software on-line for
>downloading (ie: system, finder...etc) and their rates are less than
>compuserve.  Also, they support Xmodem and Ymodem...and the throughput
>of their Xmodem implimentation is much higher than most systems I've used.

Now, I have two questions:

How much do you get each time some peoples are playing your game and
GEnie? I cannot believe that you wrote this game just to please
GEnie... which is charging connection time of the player anyway...

If you are getting anything, I think you should not ADVERTISE your
game and GEnie on the net...

If you want us to forgive you for this ethic mistake... :-) You will
have to modify your game to make it work under Appletalk and post it
on the net (for the good of the net community).
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix%AI.SRI.COM@UUNET.UU.NET                   MENLO PARK, CA 94025, USA
"Pourquoi tant de haine..." (Edika)      "Read my Lisp... No new syntax" (nil)

phil@vaxphw.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (06/08/89)

In article <1436@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes...
}
[...]

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil