[rec.games.programmer] XBATTLEZONE != XTANK

sam@umd5.umd.edu (Sam) (12/01/90)

In article <7645@umd5.umd.edu> I wrote:

>	About 6 months ago I saw a version of the arcade game battlezone
>running on a DECstation 3100.  Does anyone know where I can find the
>source for this game?
>
>	Mail replies to sam@umd5.umd.edu

	xtank != battlezone

	I have xtank and enjoy it!  But alas it is not battlezone.

	The version of battlezone I saw had very few options.  All tanks
were the same, and the views were 3D with the only obstacles being
pyramids and robot tanks.  However it was still quite enjoyable to play.

	So if any one out there knows were the code for this game
exists, let me know.

brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) (12/02/90)

-=>On 30 Nov 90 21:50:03 GMT, sam@umd5.umd.edu (Sam) said:

> In article <7647@umd5.umd.edu> sam@umd5.umd.edu (Sam) writes:

>> In article <7645@umd5.umd.edu> I wrote:
>>>
>>>	About 6 months ago I saw a version of the arcade game battlezone
>>>running on a DECstation 3100.  Does anyone know where I can find the
>>>source for this game?
>>>
>>>	Mail replies to sam@umd5.umd.edu

>> 	xtank != battlezone

>> 	I have xtank and enjoy it!  But alas it is not battlezone.

>> 	The version of battlezone I saw had very few options.  All tanks
>> were the same, and the views were 3D with the only obstacles being
>> pyramids and robot tanks.  However it was still quite enjoyable to play.

>> 	So if any one out there knows were the code for this game
>> exists, let me know.

There is a more current version of XTANK out now days.  It uses a top
down view currently and has a number of different tank bodies,
engines, etc.  It is possible to design your own tanks and mazes, and
there are a number of different "games" you can play.

The sources can be FTPed from

  ftp.eng.umd.edu

Lance
Lance A. Brown                            brown@cs.utk.edu
3500 Sutherland Avenue, Apt. L-303	  Graduate Student in Computer Science
Knoxville, TN  37919                      Sun SparcStations are Neat!

dl2n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel Edward Lovinger) (12/02/90)

	I have a version of Battlezone written by Justin Revenaugh at
MIT (dated May 1986). It is written in Fortran 77 and used the VMS
graphics library GPR (? foggy).

	The GPR library is emulated in a compatibility library on top
of X11. The comments at the top of the library ...

/*
 * emulate gpr/ftn on top of X11.
 *
 * this is a gross crock, and I make no apologies for it..
 */

pretty accurately sum it up, but the resulting game is Very Nice. As
far as I can tell, it is bugless - at least we haven't found any in
about a year of playing. Since it grabs the X server, there are some
ways to coax annoying behavior out of it (occasionally twm doesn't
release the cursor - very rare), but overall ...

	I'm willing to mail it out to interested people. Someone
willing to put it up for anonymous ftp would be welcome :-). It should
be run through f2c for the best results (many UNIX F77 compilers do
... poor ... things).

				dan

bigmac@eng.umd.edu (Mike McDonald) (12/03/90)

In article <BROWN.90Dec1141426@hydra2a.cs.utk.edu>, brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:
> There is a more current version of XTANK out now days.  It uses a top
> down view currently and has a number of different tank bodies,
> engines, etc.  It is possible to design your own tanks and mazes, and
> there are a number of different "games" you can play.
>
> The sources can be FTPed from
>
>   ftp.eng.umd.edu
One of the early versions of XTANK did provide limited 3D capability.  This has
been removed from the current versions pending its redevelopment(A task that
I am currently attempting).  XBATTLEZONE is different than XTANK, although I
have not seen it around in few years.

bigmac@inside.happy.meal
Mike McDonald