[rec.games.programmer] Basic EGA/VGA graphics functions

n8840371@henson.cc.wwu.edu (Todd B. Crowe) (04/13/91)

The recent discussions of 3D graphics (and a graphics course I'm taking
now) have sparked my interest into doing some PC graphics programming of
my own.  To do that I would like to get a hold of some fast, basic
graphics functions (e.g point plotting, lines, polylines, [maybe] filled
polygons, etc.).  I'd prefer to have (assembly) source or a public domain
version of these routines.  Does anyone know of a good PD package, or would
anyone be willing to offer some of there own code?

Short of free software could anyone mention shareware or commercial
libraries that would fit the bill?  I've looked at several of the
current shareware libraries and none (at least those I've seen) look very
impressive.  I've also noticed several people recommending METAWindow.
Would that be a good package to get?  (I've noticed that there are
several versions of METAWindow, do the low-end versions only include
TSR-support - i.e. no linkable library?)

BTW, recently there was posted a program called ROTDEMO.EXE (impresive)
by Kevin Stokes.  Is the source code available for that?

Thanks.

      +++++++++++++++        "Dont get your hair in an uproar!!!"
+++++ +@+++++++++++++  +-----------------------------------------------------+
+++++ +++Western+++++  |                   Todd Crowe                        |
 +++++++Washington+++  |           n8840371@henson.cc.wwu.edu                |
 +++++++University+++  |             TODDC@nessie.cc.wwu.edu                 |
  +++++++++++++++++++  +-----------------------------------------------------+
     ++++++++++                   "Innovate, don't litigate!"

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (04/15/91)

n8840371@henson.cc.wwu.edu (Todd B. Crowe) writes:

>The recent discussions of 3D graphics (and a graphics course I'm taking
>now) have sparked my interest into doing some PC graphics programming of
>my own.  To do that I would like to get a hold of some fast, basic
>graphics functions (e.g point plotting, lines, polylines, [maybe] filled
>polygons, etc.).  I'd prefer to have (assembly) source or a public domain

Zortech has a graphics package that is sold with their C/C++ compiler.

All the EGA/VGA primatives are written in assembly code with some of the
higher level stuff (filled polygons, pattern fills, box clip, put string,
draw thick line, etc) written in 'C'.  It works under MSDOS, OS/2 1.x, SCO's
UNIX, Rational's 286 DOS extender, and Pharlap's 386 DOS extender.  The UNIX
and Pharlap version are in 386 assembly.  The source is available for about
$200.00.  Contact 'sales@zortech.com' for more sales information.  For
technical information you can contact me (I wrote it).

--
joe@proto.com

jdb@swamp.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (04/16/91)

I don't know guys, but Zortech constantly hyping their products is getting
a tad old.  Joe (joe@proto.com), we KNOW you wrote the library.  Please use
email when hyping your products.  Well, at least after you've done it on
the net about 50 times and most of us have seen it.

Brian

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (04/24/91)

In article <28040@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@swamp.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
> I don't know guys, but Zortech constantly hyping their products is getting
> a tad old.  Joe (joe@proto.com), we KNOW you wrote the library.  Please use
> email when hyping your products.  Well, at least after you've done it on
> the net about 50 times and most of us have seen it.
>
> Brian

I have found it positive that Joe gives information about Zortech compiler
and its graphics library. It is hard to get information about such things
here. And I think it is very helpful that the author himself gives
information and lets people know whom they can ask (and get the best
knwledge). What you think is hyping can be welcome positive information to
some others who would newer have got the answer if he had only e-mailed to
somebody.

Kari