[comp.lsi] Graphics Immage or Pattern recognition VLSI

ami@taurus.BITNET.UUCP (02/10/87)

I would like to know about Graphics or Immage or Parrern Recognition
processors which are develope now in universies or VLSI companies;
 We are plainig systems in these areas and would like to coperate.

                                    Amir Schorr
ami@TAURUS.BITNET

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <8702081207.AA26997@taurus> ami@taurus.BITNET (Amir Schorr) writes:
>I would like to know about Graphics or Immage or Parrern Recognition
>processors which are develope now in universies or VLSI companies;

One very interesting chip for image or pattern work is the GAPP (Geometric
Array Parallel Processor?) from NCR.  It consists of a 6 by 12 array of
bit-serial processors on a single chip.  Each processor has 128 bits of
memory (organized as 128 words of 1 bit each), a bit-serial ALU that can
sometimes do two or three operations in parallel (depending on which resources
the operations use), and communications channels to the four adjacent
processors on a square grid (or off chip if at the edge of the array).
The chips can be stacked in X and/or Y to get larger arrays.  There is
a development system available on IBM PC.

The chip (or array for chips) is an SIMD machine, since all processors
are attached to a global address and instruction bus.  For image procesing
you would typically shift in the image from one edge of the array, do the
computation, and shift out the result.

All in all, an interesting architecture.  But why 6 X 12?  Why not 8 X 8?

I have no connection with NCR except that I read their literature and work
for one of their competitors.
--

	Howard A. Landman
	...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

diaz@halleys.UUCP (02/13/87)

My M.Sc. Thesis topic - implementation of Least Square Estimate
algorithm in VLSI. It is based on the Modified Graham Shmidt
algorithm by Dr. Fuyun Lean and John Proakis. It is conducted
at Northeastern Un. in Boston.
This type of algorithm is very attractive in echo canslation
and adaptive filtering. It might be suitable in areas like
Pattern recognition.

I would like to know about a VLSI library that has cells like-
integer multipliers, division arrays and etc.

Thank you
---
Rafael Diaz
diaz@m2c.org