[comp.lsi] Spice Parameters

HILBORN@scarolina.CSNET.UUCP (02/11/87)

In attempting to use SPICE to analyse bipolar circuits, I find that I am
unfamiliar with some of the bipolar transistor model parameters listed in
the SPICE 2G.1 Users Guide.  I was wondering if anyone might be able to
refer me to the appropriate documents in which I might find an illuminating
discussion in regard to the following parameters:

    (1) "RBM" and "IRB", used in the equations for the base resistance.

    (2) "XTF", "ITF", "VTF", and "PTF", used in the equations for the
    effective transit time, "TFF".

I will certainly appreciate any information provided in this matter.

Thank you.

Sam Hilborn   (HILBORN@SCAROLINA.EDU)

clark@seraphim.harvard.edu (James J. Clark) (09/06/87)

Spice model parameters are provided by MOSIS whenever they
send back a batch of fabricated integrated circuits to the
designers. (note: MOSIS is DARPA sponsored service which
interfaces between designers of integrated circuits and
various fabrication facilities) They do tests on the wafers
that the chips were located on to get the parameter values.
 One should be warned, however, that sometimes these
measurements are not too accurate and may even be way off
(this happened to me once). So one should look at the
parameter values closely - if they look reasonable then they
should be alright to use.

If you want these typical spice parameters you may want to
e-mail a request to MOSIS (at mosis@isi.b.edu) or you can
e-mail myself and I will send you a few sets.

James J. Clark
Division of Applied Sciences
Harvard University

clark@seraphim.harvard.edu s beaarnMessaMessaMce irives w

daasch@psueea.UUCP (Robert Daasch) (09/09/87)

In article <2804@husc6.UUCP> clark@seraphim.harvard.edu (James J. Clark) writes:
>Spice model parameters are provided by MOSIS whenever they
> One should be warned, however, that sometimes these
>measurements are not too accurate and may even be way off
>(this happened to me once). So one should look at the
>parameter values closely - if they look reasonable then they
>should be alright to use.

The most glaring of errors I have seen from MOSIS was a
run with CMOSP VTO > 0 and XJ = 40 centimeters!
A word to the wise...

Rob D.
..!tektronix!psueea!daasch
daasch@ee.pdx.edu.CSNET