[comp.lsi] VLSI tools on Mac-2's?

mccrosky@sask.UUCP (Carl Mccrosky) (09/04/87)

Has anyone ported any of the widespread VLSI layout tools to Mac-2's?

						carl mccrosky
						mccrosky@sask.bitnet

leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (09/09/87)

In article <833@sask.UUCP> mccrosky@sask.UUCP (Carl Mccrosky) writes:

>Has anyone ported any of the widespread VLSI layout tools to Mac-2's?
>
>						carl mccrosky
>						mccrosky@sask.bitnet

A recent MS graduate from Stanford who is a major player in Apple's A/UX
development team and another student still here ported UCB's Magic over
to AU/X under X just before AppleWorld earlier this year.  Total port
time was ~11 hours - straight.  They cut the tape/floppies(?) two hours
before taking off from SFO.  I have no idea if Apple will support either
X or release a Magic port.

Steve Leeke

--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@glacier.stanford.edu

"I suppose they don't use money in the 23rd century?"

lyang@SUN.COM (Larry Yang) (09/09/87)

Well, I heard a rumor that Magic was running on the Mac II.
It was one of the first big applications that was ported, to
prove the Mac II's ability to run large, useful unix applications.

--Larry Yang [lyang@sun.com,{backbone}!sun!lyang]|   A REAL _|> /\ |
  Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mountain View, CA      | signature |   | | /-\ |-\ /-\
    Hobbes: "Why do we play war and not peace?"  |          <|_/ \_| \_/\| |_\_|
    Calvin: "Too few role models."               |                _/          _/