[comp.lsi] SPICE3B1

sllu@venera.isi.edu (Lien Lu) (08/12/87)

I heard Berkeley has released SPICE 3b1 this May. Has anyone used it?
What is your evaluation?
Thanks in advance.

Shih-Lien

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (08/15/87)

In article <3381@venera.isi.edu> sllu@venera.isi.edu (Lien Lu) writes:
>I heard Berkeley has released SPICE 3b1 this May. Has anyone used it?
>What is your evaluation?
>Thanks in advance.

I *just* finished compiling and installing 3b1 here.  Only two things
to note:

(1) There seems to be a difference in input formats - some older spice
    decks don't work.  I'm not sure why yet.
(2) The distribution was excellently done.  Included are files capable of
    building versions for BSD UNIX (4.2, 4.3, Ultrix), Sys V UNIX (HPUX),
    and MS-DOS (w/ Lattice C), all from the same source code (except for
    2 include files - and I only had to change 1 :-).  All I had to do
    for Ultrix was edit prefixbsd.h into prefix.h, say "make", and
    copy the binaries where I wanted them.  (Well, it turned out I had
    to grab /usr/include/X/* from a uVAX GPX to enable X window support,
    but that wasn't the distribution's fault.)  Also, each circuit
    element type is completely modularized and can be eliminated from
    the program if desired.  That is, if you know you're never going to
    use current-controlled current sources, you can delete one word
    from one line in the Makefile, and they go away and your binary gets
    smaller.  I learned a few good tricks here!

--
	Howard A. Landman
	...!{oliveb,...}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

mattis@CEEE-SED.ARPA ("Richard L. Mattis") (08/28/87)

I have heard that Spice 3B1 is now out.  Can someone please tell me where
I can get it, how much it costs, etc.  This is for a VAX-11/785 running
VMS 4.5.  Thank you

Dick Mattis
National Bureau of Standards
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899
(301) 975-2235
------

robert@csustan.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <8708282051.AA18985@Think.COM>, mattis@CEEE-SED.ARPA ("Richard L. Mattis") writes:
> I have heard that Spice 3B1 is now out.  Can someone please tell me where
> I can get it, how much it costs, etc.  This is for a VAX-11/785 running
> VMS 4.5.  Thank you

U.C. Berkeley
EECS Department
Industrial Liason Program
Berkeley, Ca. 94720

Specify:
Version (Spice 3B1)
Media (1600BPI nine track or IBM floppies)
Unix, VMS or MSDOS

I could make it available for anonymous uucp at 2400 baud, if anyone wants
it that way.

BTW, I'm looking for models of IR's IR9530 and IR530.
Can anyone help?
--
Robert Zeff                         (209) 577-4268 work
ZAPCO                               {lll-lcc,lll-crg}!csustan!zapco!robert

rickk@hpvcla.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) (09/02/87)

   Spice 3B1 is available from UC Berkeley for $150.  The EE Dept. at Washington
State University (where?? :-) ) purchased it just before I left.  It comes on
any of three media, IBM-PC compatible floppies, 9-track tape, and cartridge
tape (I think).
   Sorry, but I don't have the exact address or person to contact, but I'm
sure someone in the EECS Dept. will be able to help.

				Rick Klaus      hplabs!hpvcla!rickk

quarles@PANIC.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Quarles) (09/10/87)

>    Spice 3B1 is available from UC Berkeley for $150.  The EE Dept. at
> Washington State University (where?? :-) ) purchased it just before I left.
> It comes on any of three media, IBM-PC compatible floppies, 9-track tape,
> and cartridge tape (I think).
>    Sorry, but I don't have the exact address or person to contact, but I'm
> sure someone in the EECS Dept. will be able to help.

				Rick Klaus      hplabs!hpvcla!rickk

SPICE3B1 is available from the EECS department at U. C. Berkely
in 4 formats:
	1 600' 1600 BPI 9 track Unix 'tar' format magtape
	2 2400' 1600 BPI 9 track ANSI standard (VMS 'copy') format magtapes
	5 High-Density (1.2M) IBM PC/AT compatible floppies
	20 Double-sided, Double-density (360K) IBM PC compatible floppies
All 4 formats contain EXACTLY the same data, not different versions of
the program, so you can order whichever media/format is most convenient
and copy it between machines.  No other formats are available, and it
is not available for FTP.  The distribution includes printed copies of
all the documentation and installation instructions.  There is a charge
(currently $150) for media, documentation, shipping, and handling, the
program itself is free.

For further information or to order the program, contact:
	Cindy Manly
	Industrial Liason Program
	479 Cory Hall
	U. C. Berkeley
	Berkeley, Ca.   94720
	(415) 643-6687

Tom Quarles
quarles@cad.berkeley.edu

aes@whuts.UUCP (STEVENS) (09/11/87)

Has anybody used SPICE3B1 yet?  How does it compare to SPICE3A, which
had lots of unimplemented things like the Gear integration method
and the 'device' command.

--Andy Stevens
aes@whuts.att.com
ihnp4!whuts!aes