[comp.lsi] IC package acronyms ?

ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) (11/15/87)

 I have run into a lot of confusion about new IC packages.
 Even the people selling them don't know which is which.
 What for instance is a the name for the package that
 is black, square, and has small recessed, curved pins
 on all four sides. Is it SOIC, PLCC or LCC ?
 It looks like
          -/-------------\-
	  -|             |-
	  -|             |-
	  -|             |-
	  -|             |-
	  -|             |-
          -\-------------/-
 and fits into a dished receptacle, without anything
 to hold it down. As far as I knew LCC was a small square
 PC board with a chip wafer and cap mounted in the center.
 So what is a SPA (square pin array) Is it a pin grid (PGA)?
 A pin grid looks like: (from bottom)
 /-------------\
 | o o o o o o |
 | o o o o o o |
 | o o o o o o |
 | o o o o o o |
 | o o o o o o |
 \-------------/
 Could someone in the know run down what the various alphabet
 soup designations stand for....

 P.S. anyone in Canada have a 12Mhz 80286 in the first package,
 in quantity *one*, they are willing to part with ? Pleeeze...
 Just name your price....pleeeze...

--
Dragos Ruiu          Disclaimer: My opinons are my employer's, I'm unemployed!
            UUCP:{ubc-vision,mnetor,vax135,ihnp4}!alberta!edson!tic!dragos!work

chip@killer.UUCP (11/19/87)

(sorry about posting this.  mail bounced.  what else is new. sigh...)

In article <154@tic.UUCP> ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
> I have run into a lot of confusion about new IC packages.  Even the people
> selling them don't know which is which.  What for instance is a the name
> for the package that is black, square, and has small recessed, curved pins
> on all four sides. Is it SOIC, PLCC or LCC ?

SOIC	small outline IC.  Package is plastic, rectangular in shape, and
	has two rows of contacts along the long dimension.  Contacts are
	on 50mil centers (as opposed to 100mil centers of DIPs), and formed
	in a "gullwing" arrangement for surface mounting as opposed to the
	through-hole mounting of DIPs.  They are approximately a 50% shrink
	of a DIP in all dimensions.

PLCC	plastic leaded chip carrier.  If the pins on your mystery package
	are J-shaped so that they make surface contact, then that's what
	you have.

LCC	This is generally a "ceramic leadless chip carrier" an LCC.  If you've
	got an AT, your 80286 is probably in an LCC package.

LDCC	I've seen this used for a "ceramic leaded chip carrier", but I'm
	not sure if it is a common terminology.  The main difference between
	a "leaded" and a "leadless" part is the former may be surface-mounted
	directly onto a board (although socketing is also possible), and the
	latter always requires a socket.

Once you get all this memorized...I'll tell you about QUIP's :-)

--
Chip Rosenthal, Dallas Semiconductor, (214) 450-0400, ...killer!vector!chip
This message courtesy of ``The UNIX Connection BBS'' in Dallas.