[comp.lsi] Wanted LSI simulator

z34@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET (Yutaka Matsumoto) (02/17/88)

Hello there,

I am now looking for a public domain LSI logic simulator
or timing verifier for X-Window or IBM AT (EGA display).

And I want to know what Magic is.
Is Magic public domain?
Available for X-Window?

Please let me know about it.
Thanks in advance.

p.s. Please follow by news, Don't reply by Mail. TNX

	Yutaka Matumoto	z34%kyocera.junet@uunet.uu.net
--
	    Yutaka Matumoto
	z34@kcvax.kyocera.junet

gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) (02/24/88)

In article <258@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET> z34@kcvax.kyocera.JUNET (Yutaka Matsumoto) writes:
>Hello there,
>
>I am now looking for a public domain LSI logic simulator
>or timing verifier for X-Window or IBM AT (EGA display).
>
>And I want to know what Magic is.
>Is Magic public domain?
>Available for X-Window?
>
>	Yutaka Matumoto	z34%kyocera.junet@uunet.uu.net
>--
>	    Yutaka Matumoto
>	z34@kcvax.kyocera.junet

     Try UC Berkeley's tools. They include Magic and several other tools,
including a simulator. What's Magic? It's a layout editor, ie. it lets you
draw the circuit sort of as the masks used in production. You draw a
rectangle of poly here, metal there, and a contact there, etc. It also
has it's own built-in incremental design rule checker, which is nice.

     Overall, it's not the best system around, but it's the best public
domain system around. Berkeley distributes it for a fee, but that's supposed
to cover shipping and handling. I believe it's $400. And of course, I don't
have the address of who to contact, though that question must be asked here
at least once a month.

						George J Wu
						rutgers!clyde!gwu