[comp.lsi] Available Hardware Testers

guilford@CSV.RPI.EDU.UUCP (04/10/87)

  I hope someone can help me; I'm looking for information on hardware for
testing chips. I am not looking for at-speed testing, and I am not looking
for $30,000 - $60,000 industrial testers. What I am primarily interested in
is a means of (under program control) driving some lines with a given set of
vectors, reading the results of some pins, and dealing with some pins that
both accept and generate data.
  I am considering building some hardware that would sit on an IBM PC bus
and perform these functions, but it seems to me that it is not that uncommon
of thing to want to do, and that there should either be products available
to do this sort of thing, or other people who have in some other way solved
a similar problem.
  Any information of where to look for products such as these, or other
suggestions on how I can relatively cheaply (not $10,000's) test custom
digital IC's would be appreciated.
  Thanks in advance for your efforts. I am
Jim Guilford
(guilford@csv.rpi.edu)

lechner@GULL.ULOWELL.EDU (Bob Lechner) (04/07/88)

I just read your msg. on vlsi network last year. How have yo made out
on VLSI tester acq. or design? The organization m2c.m2c.org is buying
testers of some type for MA. eng . schools. It may have info.
Contact: pcohen or lipton@m2c.org

I have ben trying to design a functional tester withg a PC host,
in a comp eng course preceding a VLSI course.
30-50MHz clock rate, samppling scope approach to output data acquisition.
Any ideas on this?
RAM input at slower clock cycles, pattern generation within each cycle,
video RAMS as data sources and sinks.

paul@odin.m2c.org (Paul Cohen) (04/08/88)

In article <8804070200.AA04146@gull.ulowell.edu> lechner@GULL.ULOWELL.EDU (Bob Lechner) writes:
>I just read your msg. on vlsi network last year. How have yo made out
>on VLSI tester acq. or design? The organization m2c.m2c.org is buying
>testers of some type for MA. eng . schools. It may have info.
>Contact: pcohen or lipton@m2c.org

Just a correction: I am cohen@m2c.org, not pcohen. I haven't got much info
worth writing for yet, but if there is interest, I'll post what we find
out later.

Paul
Paul B. Cohen                             Massachusetts Microelectronics Center
cohen@m2c.org                             Westborough, MA
cohen%m2c.m2c.org@relay.cs.net
{harvard,ulowell,frog,umvlsi}!m2c!cohen