[comp.lsi] Logic simulator survey as of April 21, 1988.

acken@MOJAVE.STANFORD.EDU (John M. Acken) (04/21/88)

Here are the results so far:
COSMOS:			1
Daisy:			3
ESIM:			4
ELLA (ECAD):		82
HILO:			2
Internal:		4
LogicWorks(Macintosh):	1
Mossim:			2
QUCKSIM(Mentor):	6
RNL:			1
RSIM:			1
SALOGS:			3
SILOS:			2
THOR:			1
VERILOG:		3
Valid:			2
ZYCAD/ZILOS:		2

        .
    .  ...  .
.................		SINCERELY,
   ...     ...   		JOHN M. ACKEN
  .           .

jlacoss@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Jeff La Coss) (04/27/88)

 I would like to hear a product review from anybody using ELLA from
ECAD.

 Since there are so many of you I must assume there is something really
keen about it (or ECAD has great sales staff).

	Jeff

archiel@mntgfx.mentor.com (Archie Lachner) (04/29/88)

I wonder how many of the electronic workstations out there are hooked up to the
net, and how many of the users of same read net news, this group, and
participated in the survey.  Mentor Graphics, for example, has about 10,000
workstations installed, most of which are not connected to the net and don't
even have Domain/IX (Apollo's version of UNIX) installed.  Mentor's QuickSim
runs only on Apollo workstations.  I'm sure similar things can be said of other
CAE vendors' products.  All this is to point out that the statistical sample
contained in this survey is probably not very representative of logic-simulator
use in general.
--
Archie Lachner
Mentor Graphics Corporation

whitcomb@ic.uucp (Gregg Whitcomb) (04/30/88)

In article <1988Apr28.110007.1246@mntgfx.mentor.com> archiel@mntgfx.mentor.com (Archie Lachner) writes:
>I wonder how many of the electronic workstations out there are hooked up to the
>net, and how many of the users of same read net news, this group, and
>participated in the survey.
>--
>Archie Lachner

I've requested a list of the survey participants from the originator but
haven't received them yet.  Other surveys (such as voting for a new
newsgroup) require a list for verification purposes and I believe that
lists should be maintained when user surveys are performed (especially
when the outcome may have some commercial impact).

Gregg Whitcomb
whitcomb@ic.berkeley.edu

kagenski@apollo.uucp (Joe Kagenski) (05/02/88)

In article <1988Apr28.110007.1246@mntgfx.mentor.com> archiel@mntgfx.mentor.com (Archie Lachner) writes:
>I wonder how many of the electronic workstations out there are hooked up to the
>net, and how many of the users of same read net news, this group, and
>participated in the survey....
>All this is to point out that the statistical sample
>contained in this survey is probably not very representative of logic-simulator
>use in general.
>--
>Archie Lachner

Agree, looking back at when I was an Aps Engr for Tektronix, not many of
the people/organizations that I talked with outside of academia and govt
had access to this media.  Many of the same companies were 'on the air',
but most of the folks in design areas did not have access to it, for
whatever reason, only s/w folks made use of it.  The numbers have increased
some but not much.  There are a lot of H/W designers (definitely not the
case with my current employer) that still shy away from using workstations
for more than schematic entry and simulation.

Additional comment, Any and all info is good, but it needs to be qualified.
That survey should have been accompanied by a simple list of respondents
to give some additional validity, especially since the sample size was so low.

Disclaimer:  My opinions no one else's!!

joek
--
Joe Kagenski - CAE Logic Design Tools  ( kagenski@apollo.uucp )
Apollo Computer Inc.    617-256-6600   ( apollo!kagenski@eddie.mit.edu )