[comp.lsi] Free silicon design software???

d85-per@nada.kth.se (Per Hammarlund) (06/01/88)

I have some questions about VLSI design software that I would be
grateful if someone could answer.

I am taking a course in VLSI design, CMOS processes, and was quite put
aback when I found out that the computer to be used for
simulation/design was a VAX 785 running VMS, not a fast combination
when I am used to a Pyramid 9820/OSx 4.0. I have therefore set about
to gather some useful programs to run on either the Pyramid or Sun
3's. As I am taking this course now I do NOT really know what I need,
any guidance and/or advice is appreciated. What I am looking for is
free software to run under BSD 4.3 UNIX, the software will be used for
non-commercial purposes only.

What I think I need is:

	CAD/layout tools running on Sun 3.

	Design/Rule checking programs suitable for CMOS processes.

	Logic Simulation.

	Analog simulation, a program like SPICE (Is SPICE free?)

I can imagine that there are all kinds of wonderful stuff that ties
these different types of software together, as well as programs I have
not heard of, please advice me of their names and uses.

	/Thanks in advance,
	Per Hammarlund, d85-per@nada.kth.se,
	School of Computer Science and Engineering,
	Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (06/08/88)

In article <393@draken.nada.kth.se> d85-per@nada.kth.se (Per Hammarlund) writes:
>What I am looking for is
>free software to run under BSD 4.3 UNIX, the software will be used for
>non-commercial purposes only.

Per,

None of the following will help you much, since most of this software can not
legally be shipped outside the United States.  However, I post it here in
case there is anyone with a similar problem in the U.S.

Write to:

	Software Distribution
	EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program
	University of California
	Berkeley, CA  94720

and ask for their catalog "Public Domain Software".  Too much to summarize
here, most of it public domain, available for a nominal fee to cover tape
copying, postage, handling, documentation printing, etc.

If you are interested in logic synthesis tools, you may also want to write
to:
	University of Colorado at Boulder
	Campus Box 425
	Boulder, CO  80309-0425

and ask them about getting the BOLD (Boulder Optimal Logic Design)
tape.  It is supposed to run fine on Pyramid and Sun (from personal
experience, I can say that it compiles on a Sun3, but I haven't had
time to play with it yet).

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

rubin@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Steve Rubin) (06/11/88)

There is one silicon design software package that *CAN* be sent outside
of the United States: The Electric(TM) VLSI Design System.

Electric is a complete package that includes a graphical editor and
many tools (design rule checkers, PLA generators, simulators [including
interface to SPICE], compactors, network consistency checkers, and even
a VHDL compiler for placing and routing standard cell libraries).

The system also handles many environments of design including nMOS
(currently two different design-rule sets), CMOS (currently six different
design-rule sets including one for MOSIS), Bipolar, Schematics, etc.

Electric is described in my recent textbook, "Computer Aids for VLSI
Design", Addison-Wesley, 1987 (yes, Steven M. Rubin, author).

Best of all, Electric is available to any orginazation that is willing
to sign a noncommercial/nondisclosure license agreement and pay a
tape fee of $200.  There are over 100 groups throughout the world that
already have the system.  If you want Electric, call or write:
	Steven Rubin
	Schlumberger Palo Alto Research
	3340 Hillview Avenue
	Palo Alto, California 94304