[comp.lsi] memories

grzybows@math.rutgers.edu (grzybowski) (07/08/88)

Is it true that there are megabyte RAMs on the market?
Are there any nonvolatile memories of large capacity?
What about really high capacity memories?

In article <Jul.8.08.47.30.1988.7182@math.rutgers.edu> grzybows@math.rutgers.edu (grzybowski) writes:

>What about really high capacity memories?

Look up "Bloch Line Memory" in current and ancient literature.

I heard about it only a few months ago, and the guy who gave the seminar
said something about 300Meg per chip; 'course, your mileage may vary :-)

It's a variant on bubble-memories (still the highest-density working
technology) in which, rather than the existence of a domain wall being
the "bit", one puts half-twists in the wall and calls that a "bit".
The bubbles get stretched out like rubber bands, and twisted like
screwy macaroni.

Come to think of it, a thick rubber band might be a good visual aid
for teaching that these things are indeed stable states of the
domain wall...not physically parallel, maybe, but visually
mnemonic.

Actually, that number worries me; check it out; my brain cells have been
ASL for a while, and I don't have my notes from the lecture.  Still,
with the Mil running all over themselves, and the Fed running down the
Japanese, trying to get 1MB DRAM up to speed, a little slow, para-serial
Library-storage device may be a kick in the pants...

					--Blair

(p.s. old 6502 programmers know what ASL is.)

d85-per@nada.kth.se (Per Hammarlund) (07/11/88)

Does anybody have any good references to books/papers on Bubble
memory?

	/Per Hammarlund

grzybows@math.rutgers.edu (grzybowski) (07/15/88)

Who produces the 250 Mb bubble memories?
(I am posting this question, because I cannot reach some respondents
by regular email).

dougf@wega.Caltech.Edu (Doug Freyburger) (07/16/88)

In article <Jul.14.15.32.28.1988.21380@math.rutgers.edu> grzybows@math.rutgers.edu (grzybowski) writes:
>Who produces the 250 Mb bubble memories?

And if these beasts exist in the commercial realm: does anyone
produce disk-on-a-chip controller cards and/or software for them
running on any of the common buses and O/Ss?

Even at "Bernoulli Box" access speeds these make laptops capable
enough for a huge market.
dougf@wega.caltech.edu

Douglas J Freyburger
Caltech 206-49
Pasadena, CA 91125

(818)356-2913

In article <Jul.14.15.32.28.1988.21380@math.rutgers.edu> grzybows@math.rutgers.edu (grzybowski) writes:

>Who produces the 250 Mb bubble memories?
>(I am posting this question, because I cannot reach some respondents
>by regular email).

So far as I remember, nobody.  All of it is physics research as yet,
and there are probably only half a dozen of these working now.

				--Blair