[comp.lsi] Apology, further Explanation on EDIF EXAMPLES

murf@oakhill.UUCP (Steve Murphy) (10/10/88)

Sorry to flood the world with what many would consider trivia. I'll hold
off posting the next (and final) set till next week. Please, be patient,
as there have been many requests for REALISTIC edif examples, and no one
on the technical subcommittee really has the time to distribute example
files via tapes to the world at large.
The files aren't guaranteed valid EDIF because they come with special props
defined by the Technical Subcommittee, and the style is also defined, in order
to make EDIF implementable NOW. The next version of EDIF may well incorporate
the things done now, but that's LATER.

The files I'm sending out are REAL SCHEMATICS. Small ones, true, but enough
should be there for most of the major vendors to put something up that will
netlist from their graphics. Connectivity, graphics, the whole smear.

Many people have been holding back working on EDIF until they see some data.
Well, the data's coming, from just about every vendor. This is a peek at what
it will be like.

I promise I won't do this again, unless I feel demand sufficient. (Hopefully,
within 6mo to a yr. there will be so many EDIF writers running out there that
this will be unneccessary). Consider this a sort of 'seeding'.

murf
--
		Steve Murphy, 	Motorola, Inc
		6501 William Cannon Drive West, MD OE37

waters@dover.uucp (Mike Waters) (10/11/88)

In article <1563@oakhill.UUCP> murf@oakhill.UUCP (Steve Murphy) writes:
>The files aren't guaranteed valid EDIF because they come with special props
>defined by the Technical Subcommittee, and the style is also defined, in order
>to make EDIF implementable NOW. The next version of EDIF may well incorporate
>the things done now, but that's LATER.

Steve,
    I haven't had a chance to look at your files, nor at the draft of
the User Guide/Proposal that you folks have done. Can we (ALL!) assume
that these files conform to that proposal - less the standard errors and
ommissions kinds of disclaimers of course. If thats true then it will
help me for one in testing the proposal.

    Do these files relate to the 8 way vendor transfer we saw at Edif
World?

    I am posting this since I think the answers would be of general
interest to everyone.
--
Mike Waters                 (for your EDIFication)
Motorola SMART CAD Group - EDIF support

buzz@usm3b2.EDU (Justin Harlow) (10/12/88)

I am new to the network, but I believe there is a facility for putting
copies of source code in a publicly accessible place. If it works for
source code, it will work for EDIF.

A lot of people are interested in looking at EDIF examoples, but why
clog up the NEWS with the whole enchilada? Just announce that you put
it in a common area, and those who care will go get a copy.

Buzz Harlow
National Semiconductor
South Portland, ME

"Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit!"